This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New user - No wireless interfaces found
Hi all. Im new to all this (and not as mentally agile as I used to be!)so hope you can all be patient with me.
Santa gave me a Pi 3 B for xmas and Ive loaded openplotter V0.8.0. NOOBS
Dektop comes up ok but no wifi icon in top right hand corner. Ive managed to put the 2 arrows up there now but when I click on them I get the message "No wireless interfaces found". Any suggestions welcome! In as simple as possible language appreciated!
Thanks
first thing is to upgrade to newest release v0.16.0
(2017-12-28, 12:29 PM)Highland Dave Wrote: Hi all. Im new to all this (and not as mentally agile as I used to be!)so hope you can all be patient with me.
Santa gave me a Pi 3 B for xmas and Ive loaded openplotter V0.8.0. NOOBS
Dektop comes up ok but no wifi icon in top right hand corner. Ive managed to put the 2 arrows up there now but when I click on them I get the message "No wireless interfaces found". Any suggestions welcome! In as simple as possible language appreciated!
Thanks

V10 is better Smile

Sound like the wifi hotspot might be  enabled, have a look in the wifi access AP tab in openplotter then untick "enable access point". 
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-...fi-ap.html

What happens is that openplotter uses the wifi to create a access point so it isn't available to connect to a network. 
Another option is to buy a little nano usb wifi dongle, then you can have both at the same time. 

Then yo can upgrade to V16 Cool
Thanks for the replies gents. I only see a V10 on the sailoog.com website.
Ill certainly look at the wifi AP. I assumed that it could connect to t'internet and be an access point at the same time. But sounds like I am mistaken.
@Highland Dave - welcome Smile - once you installed V10 you have the update option, and then you can always update to latest op when connected to the inet.
Ref inet you have several options:
1. no AP but connect to your wifi, do what you need to do on the inet and then switch AP on and have no more wifi inet
2. get another wifi dongle and have AP enabled AND wifi connection to inet. (I configured AP to wlan0 and wifi-dongle wlan1 - have seen that others have it opposite but cannot see any difference)
3. there is always also the cable eth0 option configured as bridge, but I never played with this.

hope that helps.
(2017-12-29, 11:18 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: 2. get another wifi dongle and have AP enabled AND wifi connection to inet. (I configured AP to wlan0 and wifi-dongle wlan1 - have seen that others have it opposite but cannot see any difference) 
Another wifi dongle can be really handy onboard, openplotter can act as a wifi repeater so you can get a good usb wifi dongle/antenna and use this to pick up weak networks and rebroadcast  round the boat, or if using a mobile phone for web access it's handy to get at node-red & nmea data without having to log onto the openplotter network, just log onto the mobile network with openplotter  get the IP address from the wifi OP tab.
Thats brilliant guys. Thanks.
Upgraded to V10 and then disabled AP and could connect to internet. Enabled AP and can see over VNC so that bit is sorted!
The next part....
I downloaded Openplotter Noobs to a 16GB card as I also wanted to store the charts (oeSENC charts from o-charts) and run Kodi from there too.
When I look at the card in finder on my Macbook, it shows a boot and a recovery disk but they are both full and less than 2GB. I looked at it using the disk utility and there are 2 unmounted partitions disk1s5 and disk1s7 but I cant see them to save anything to them.
How do I go about using these areas? Or do I have to store the charts and any other software externally?
Thanks again
Dave
(2017-12-29, 04:40 PM)Highland Dave Wrote: I downloaded Openplotter Noobs to a 16GB card as I also wanted to store the charts (oeSENC charts from o-charts) and run Kodi from there too.
When I look at the card in finder on my Macbook, it shows a boot and a recovery disk but they are both full and less than 2GB. I looked at it using the disk utility and there are 2 unmounted partitions disk1s5 and disk1s7 but I cant see them to save anything to them.
How do I go about using these areas? Or do I have to store the charts and any other software externally?
Thanks again
Dave

Mac sounds like windows, no easy way to access the other partitions with the SD card plugged into the windows machine- I often just copy stuff onto a usb stick then put that in the Pi. Or log onto Ocharts from the Pi web browser & download again. 

On windows there's a handy file manager called filezilla which lets you connect to the Pi over wifi then copy files across that way. That's really handy for copying routes & waypoints etc to a laptop and back again for route planning. 

Kodi can't help I'm afraid.
(2017-12-29, 05:05 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2017-12-29, 04:40 PM)Highland Dave Wrote: I downloaded Openplotter Noobs to a 16GB card as I also wanted to store the charts (oeSENC charts from o-charts) and run Kodi from there too.
Thanks again
Dave

Mac sounds like windows, no easy way to access the other partitions with the SD card plugged into the windows machine- I often just copy stuff onto a usb stick then put that in the Pi. Or log onto Ocharts from the Pi web browser & download again. 

On windows there's a handy file manager called filezilla which lets you connect to the Pi over wifi then copy files across that way. That's really handy for copying routes & waypoints etc to a laptop and back again for route planning. 

Kodi can't help I'm afraid.

Thanks. Ive downloaded charts straight onto the Pi. But....
I bought the Uk and BE/NL charts from o-charts. I downloaded one set to my Macbook (They work fine) and have downloaded a second set to the Pi. Ive not bought a second set just used the second download option on the original set.Created the system identifier etc on the Pi. Opencpn on the PI knows where the charts are but they are not loading onto the map. Am I allowed to use the same set of charts on 2 systems or do I have to pay for another set for the Pi?
I did tell you I was a little shard of understanding when it comes to this! 
Thanks for your patience and help so far.