This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race timer
Hi Andy,

Your code look straight forward. What display do you use?
I tested a bit with the backlight LCD's but where poor readable in direct sunlight.
A Nokia lcd could be an option, but I would prefere something bigger.

From your code I expect you use a LED display, is that readable under all outdoor circumstances?
Do you have experience with Oled outdoor in bright sunlight?

E-Paper could be an option, but wondering if update speed is an issue for a clock displaying seconds.

Kr
Sjoerd

Hello Andy,

Thanks for sharing.
Probably the reason why I still did not complete my project because I want to much ~)
I am manly using vor ORC/IRC handicap racing, so not only the time between signals is important, also the absolute time for handicap calculation
Further I use a Gas Canon which has a delay of 1.7 - 2.5 seconds.

My wish list in order of importance:

- GPS synced signal (< 1 secĀ  Accuracy) on full minute, compensation for canon.
- 5 min repeating sequence
- Mute function (clock keeps counting down but no signal, eg for delay or General recall)
- Log of signals on webpage (including time), option to download / save
- (Next) Flags up | down on a webpage
- Solenoid to release a elastic powered flag (I only see a option for up only, down need to be a fixed line)

Where could OpenPlotter kick in:
ORC triple number requires to decide the handicap used based on average wind during the race.
To get that I want to record the average windspeed between starting signal and finish (could be a minute average)
So want to connect an anemometer to the (advanced) timer.

When we have a windset connected, It could be useful to have the average wind direction of last 30 min's to see a trend and to help you setting the course and pin-end.

During finish I want to log the exact time of each finish signal, preferable matching a sailnumber manual to it using a app or webpage.
So as you can see I have maybe to many wishes to complete in one go.

Should we build all this on a Rpi or an ESP8266/ESP32?

KR
Sjoerd

Messages In This Thread
Race timer - by abarrow - 2017-12-30, 03:58 PM
RE: Race timer - by Sjoerd02 - 2017-12-31, 02:32 PM
RE: Race timer - by abarrow - 2017-12-31, 04:31 PM