This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openplotter in an Oldplotter!
Hello good people. I've been offline and onshore for a while, working, but now I'm slowly getting the spare time to do boat things.

I see that openplotter has evolved a lot since last time I was around. Big cheer for the developers, not resting on past achievements!

A thing that hasn't changed is the availability of small bright waterproof screens...

So here is my take on the problem:Use an old chartplotter which no longer works.
There should be plenty lying around.
I'm using a 20 year old Geonav 11 flash.

The front glass is broken , but it is easily replaced , and I need to decide on touch or not first.
Mine uses a sharp LQ10D368 panel wich I think need a ttl control card. I haven't found one with hdmi input yet.

What I have found is a direct replacement screen with brighter LED's, better resolution (800x600 vs 480x360) and HDMI input:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HDMI-VGA-DVI-LCD...Sw-K9ZI6Vu

It's only 90 bucks so its a no-brainer , really.

I'm planning a basic setup at first ,Rpi2, GPS and IMU, and I'll try to use the buttons and joystick on the chartplotter.
This is just a first mock-up, cables will be shortened and components mounted better.

.manitu
Hi again.

Now I got the compass installed. Also got the buttons on the keypad working.
Not my best looking soldering , but it works. The joystick and EBL/VRM button I still haven't figured out.

I would love to get the joystick working , but It seems like It outputs are: up-left, up-right, down-right down-left. Those direction has a corresponding pin wich is earthed when pushed. When you push it straight up , you get about 200 ohms to earth on both up-left and up-right. other directions works the same.

Any and all ideas welcome.

.manitu
(2018-01-10, 01:38 AM)manitu Wrote: I would love to get the joystick working , but It seems like It outputs are: up-left, up-right, down-right down-left. Those direction has a corresponding pin wich is earthed when pushed. When you push it straight up , you get about 200 ohms to earth on both up-left and up-right. other directions works the same.
Regarding the joystick.  Perhaps I'm not thinking correctly, but it seems that one quad nor gate on a piece of perf-board could solve your problem.  With the up-left tied to one input and the up-right tied to the other, you would get a high out of the nor gate that signifies up.  Likewise, you would wire up the other three combinations and end up with up, down, left and right outputs.  Something like a 74LS02 (if you hare running 5 volts should do the trick).  Richard

[Image: nor.gif]