This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading
I've taken a NOOBS v0.10.0 out of the box and attempted to upgrade to 0.17. It takes a long time but eventually locks up the Pi and kills the video. Repeat, locks up, kills the video again. Third boot, the PI boots into the desktop but Openplotter wont boot. 

I've tried this repeatedly. Any ideas how to upgrade successfully?

Running on a Pi3.

Thanks
"kills the video" how are you connected to video vlc rdt hdmi ?
i would suggest using hdmi and ethernet if possible..ignore the long pauses and warnings wait and wait again...
then wait some more..
i just did it this week also
I'm using a Pi3, connected via Ethernet and the video (HDMI), Keyboard and mouse directly connected.
The Pi spends a lot of time updating Raspian (because 0.10 is Jessie) and dies somewhere around one of the later packages. It seems to get through the Raspian upgrade and die on one of the Openplotter packages. The pi just locks up and dies and wont respond/cant be connected to. Reboot - gets a bit further then same thing.
How long are you waiting for? The update from 10 takes hours, And hours........
one more thing to try is to use another sd card class 10..
(2018-01-19, 01:09 PM)jim321 Wrote: one more thing to try is to use another sd card class 10..

Tried different cards. All mine are Class 10. Pi crashes after about an hour.
(2018-01-19, 03:05 PM)pandroid Wrote:
(2018-01-19, 01:09 PM)jim321 Wrote: one more thing to try is to use another sd card class 10..

Tried different cards. All mine are Class 10. Pi crashes after about an hour.

Are you sure it crashes? How many hours do you leave it before rebooting? 

Try leaving it all afternoon maybe?
OK. Looked at it a bit closer.
Used a clean 0.10. Updated Openplotter only via the onscreen button.
First pass, does a lot of Raspian upgrading. Gets about 40 mins in then reboots itself. Appears to start ok but says its not updated.
Start again, not so much raspian upgrading this time (this is obviously done, the desktop has been updated), gets past Signalk, starts 'compiling packages', about 10 mins in, then involuntary reboots again.
Third pass, appears to complete. (takes about 15 mins). Shows as 0.17.0 on the OP Help screen. Open CPN runs OK.
However - wont boot properly now. Starts up, tries to start up various packages, gets to the 'Getting time from NMEA' and crashes/reboots. (continuously).
The Pi itself is on a good power supply and is stable on everything else, including 0.10 and is on a 50Mb connection.
If you say it takes hours, obviously something is missing/screwing up in the upgrade sequence, but its not clear what. (I do say 'no' (the default) to the option to upgrade node-red, but other than that I'm not changing anything.
Tried it again. Different PSU, but critically said yes to updating Node-Red. Seems to have completed OK this time.
Took about 40 minutes.
Cheers.
@pandroid : have you had node-red on autostart when your update crasjhes? maybe this is the cause for the troubles. Anyhow , good that you are up and running again.