This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to send data to Openplotter and SignalK
Hi,
I am setting up an auto Pilot refurbishing an old Marinepilot 1600 but during this I decided to set up a wind speed indicator AF-1733 and possible wind direction once i know how to build it "suggestions welcome".

Now I am at an impasse, I will have to send 12 volts up the mast to run the arduino and anchor light and send/receive data via serial 2 more wires.
I was wondering about doing this wireless??? What is the best way to do this? When i  am done i will have an anchor light , wind instruments speed and direction sensors and a arduino nano. Could i control the anchor light with the nano and just send -+12V up the mast and send and receive data with it via ??. What would be the best way.
I have a add on board Pico USB on my RPI3 with an additional serial port so i have 2 but the auto Pilot will use one and i was hoping to use the second to send data to radio.?

What would be the best protocol to use I could send data back as SignalK, NMEA1083 or raw and do the final processing on the RPI. I prefer the first 2 options as the poor RPI is already ask to do a lot. I picked the Nano because it is Small low power and can handle 12 v.

David Delorme

Attached Files Image(s)