This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mbtiles
Quote:seandepagnier
(2018-01-06, 07:47 PM)tocan Wrote: When the new version of openplotter will come? I like during winter to setup the final system at home. For Inland still OpenCPN is only parial usefull because of not existing use of mtiles and tiles.

mtiles?  Do you mean mbtiles?

I have scripts that can easily convert these into format opencpn can use.  I already have complete world charts in this way.

As for inland waterways (europe I am assuming)  These charts are available in kap format already from the inbuilt chart downloader.   I also have many charts, including most areas in europe, in raster format, as well as vector charts in s57 format.    I don't think you can find better charts in mbtiles which tiles are you using?

mbtiles are designed for imagery.   They have specific scale factors and projections only, and therefore are not ideally suited for nautical charts.   Despite this, they can be used, and provide much better random access than supported formats due to their tiled nature.  They are widely available from tile servers, but again, they can easily be converted to kap format without losing data, so can at least be used.

Hi Sean,

NOAA publish their Charts also in "mbtiles" format.
https://github.com/vokkim/noaa-nautical-charts
I hope someday OpenCPN supports native mbtiles without this format again to convert to anything that understands OpenCPN Blush

I'm using your mbtiles2kap but it doesn't comfortable and was not easy to install

Regards
BlackSea
OpenCPN team is discussing about the best way to provide raster charts when vector charts are not available. Probably mbtiles will be the chosen way.
Hi Sailoog,

thank you for your answer.
I do not know any public discussions about it, but you're closer to developers. There are few requests on the flyspray, but nothing is happening now
(2018-01-25, 10:51 AM)BlackSea Wrote: Hi Sailoog,

thank you for your answer.
I do not know any public discussions about it, but you're closer to developers. There are few requests on the flyspray, but nothing is happening now

I am supposed to have written it by now, but I got sidetracked by pypilot.
Hi Sean,

you are free what you have to do. OpenCPN is a free project and nobody can force someone. Get in touch when you're ready and have fun  Smile