OpenMarine

Full Version: Cellular data for cruising boat?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This looks quite interesting for uploading data and smaller downloads >

https://hologram.io/nova/

$49 plus $5 for the sim - looks like it should work most places we would sail to. 
$0.60 per Mb so no youtube streaming but for daily grib forecasts it could work out very reasonable, so no more running around for a new local data sim when you get to a new country.
I'll give it a go anyway, would be really handy  for monitoring when away from the boat with data coming from a mobile phone at the moment.
Many of our cruising friends like Google FI, as it has coverage in 170 countries (according to their web site) and consistent pricing worldwide. Monthly data rates are $10 usd/month/gig. The downside is that it is available only on limited devices, but their Moto X offering isn't too expensive. That phone is free if you trade in your old phone!

I keep a USB open on my OpenPlotter system that I can just plug my phone into for USB tethering, and just plug the phone in when I want to communicate with the outside world via internet. I agree it's a pain to track down a new sim with every new country!
there is a factory about a mile away from me, they are making lots of satellites for world web. so it wont be long before you will be able to get sat net.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/how...ncna853766
(2018-03-07, 04:23 PM)abarrow Wrote: [ -> ]I keep a USB open on my OpenPlotter system that I can just plug my phone into for USB tethering, and just plug the phone in when I want to communicate with the outside world via internet.

At the moment I just use a wifi usb dongle on the Pi and have the phone create a network which openplotter logs onto then in turn shares that through the openplotter network. Which works really well, plus if it's a marina network then the various devices don't need to have a new password put in every time. The downside is no boat monitoring when you have your phone in your pocket elsewhere.
(2018-03-07, 04:23 PM)abarrow Wrote: [ -> ]Many of our cruising friends like Google FI, as it has coverage in 170 countries (according to their web site) and consistent pricing worldwide. Monthly data rates are $10 usd/month/gig. The downside is that it is available only on limited devices, but their Moto X offering isn't too expensive. That phone is free if you trade in your old phone!

Interesting. I can't find coverage at any address that I have tried on their own coverage map even in countries that they say are covered. Perhaps it works in Europe and the US? Any real world experience?
As I said, we have cruising friends who have been up and down the Pacific coast, and are now in the Caribbean. They use Google FI, and claim that many of their cruising friends also use it. Based on the number of Facebook posts from them, it appears that coverage hasn't been a problem!
OK.. I imagine it is quite good in the US. I could not find coverage at any address that I tried in Polynesia, Australasia, South America or South Africa on the Google FI site. So for world cruising it seems dodgy at best.
Hologram dongle turned up yesterday, seems really good, doesn't cost pennies though but for monitoring away fro the boat the data is really cheap. $0.40 a month subscription plus $0.60 per Mb. I've used 2kb so far messing about. Haven't really got to grips yet with sending data, there's a cli and python library plus 'route ' options on the web site to forward data to IFTTT and other options. Turn on/off Internet access on the command line as well. So all in all it seems a good if not really cheap way to get monitoring data in every country we're likely to be in and grib files etc. Cool

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
(2018-03-29, 08:16 AM)PaddyB Wrote: [ -> ]Hologram dongle turned up yesterday, seems really good, doesn't cost pennies though but for monitoring away fro  the boat the data is really cheap. $0.40 a month subscription plus $0.60 per Mb. I've used 2kb so far messing about. Haven't really got to grips yet with sending data, there's a cli and python library plus 'route ' options on the web site to forward data to IFTTT and other options. Turn on/off Internet access on the command line as well. So all in all it seems a good if not really cheap way to get monitoring data in every country we're likely to be in and grib files etc. Cool

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Heart  Hello Friends   Heart

I really like your writing style, good information, appreciate it for posting. 

I consider something really special in this website. 

I must admit that your post is really interesting. I have spent a lot of my spare time reading your content. Thank you a lot! 

Rental Cars UAE is the leading car rental company in Dubai. Best Car Hire & Rent a Car deals from more than 100 locations and 40,000 Cars to lease in Dubai.

M06 Bin Thani Avenue, Al Garhoud (2,050.05 km)
35114 Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Call:- +971 800 22799
Next level of spam Sad
Pages: 1 2