OpenMarine

Full Version: NASA AIS Engine to USB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a NASA AIS Engine which outputs data on a serial lead on a Black wire from pin 2 and a screen from pin 5 at 38400 baud, which of the terminals do I use on the serial to USB adapter.
R- and R+ or T- and T+ or GND 

Thanks,
John
The NASA AIS puts out a sort of RS232
I use a serial to USB adapter myself ( prolific chipset )

Your adapter is NMEAv2 to USB
You can try R(eceive) + and -

Pin2 -> R+
Pin5 (shield) -> R-

If it does not work you can try to connect NASA pin5 (shield ) to GND instead of R-
Either may work.

Googling RS422 vs RS232 can provide more technical info since NMEAv2 is electrically RS422

Regards,
(2016-05-27, 08:28 PM)SYWindveer Wrote: [ -> ]The NASA AIS puts out a sort of RS232

Pin2 -> R+
Pin5 (shield) -> R-

If it does not work you can try to connect NASA pin5 (shield ) to GND instead of R-
Either may work.

Googling RS422 vs RS232 can provide more technical info since NMEAv2 is electrically RS422

Regards,

Thanks for that, I am 50 miles from the coast so going to struggle to get a signal at the moment, otherwise I would have just kept swapping them about.
My unit is an older AIS engine 2 and it sends empty AIS messages even when no signal is received
Mine is the original one, going to get the chip upgrade when I see it working.
Tried every combination now and not seen any message in inspector. Confident I have open plotter setup correctly with the correct port and baud 38400 but not seen anything in inspector nor have I seen the green led on the serial to usb convertor light. I set open plotter to output to the convertor and the red light was flickering fine though obviously the AIS engine could do nothing with the data.
Thanks,
John
(2016-05-27, 08:57 PM)gowzel Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-05-27, 08:28 PM)SYWindveer Wrote: [ -> ]The NASA AIS puts out a sort of RS232

Pin2 -> R+
Pin5 (shield) -> R-

Either may work.

Regards,

Thanks for that, I am 50 miles from the coast so going to struggle to get a signal at the moment, otherwise I would have just kept swapping them about.

Mine outputs a dummy message when it powers up, which shows up in Opencpn. Just pull out the power lead and push back in. On the usb/serial it's wired to recieve and ground. Works fine.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
(2016-05-29, 03:15 PM)PaddyB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-05-27, 08:57 PM)gowzel Wrote: [ -> ]

Pin2 -> R+
Pin5 (shield) -> R-

Either may work.

Regards,

Mine outputs a dummy message when it powers up,  which shows up in Opencpn. Just pull out the power lead and push back in.  On the usb/serial it's wired to recieve and ground. Works fine.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
Yes mine works fine with a usb to serial as well.
NASA cuts a lot of corners with their circuitry to keep the price down.
That's why it may not be compatible with balanced NMEA interfaces.

I have upgraded my AIS Engine 1 to version 2 with the upgrade chip so it can receive AIS B messages.
I was worth the upgrade
I think that my converter could be faulty. I have set it up to input the GPS nmea data into the AIS engine, the red led is flickering away and I have a 2.2V to 0V  signal out of the converter into the AIS. And I have a slower 0V to 0.25V signal on the black and screen wire from th AIS engine. But there is a permanent 4.6 V between R- and R+ and between R+ and GND on the converter. With no signal being sent or received surely there should not be 4.6V there.

Anyone able to test there own?
Thanks,
John
(2016-05-31, 08:29 AM)gowzel Wrote: [ -> ]I think that my converter could be faulty. I have set it up to input the GPS nmea data into the AIS engine, the red led is flickering away and I have a 2.2V to 0V  signal out of the converter into the AIS. And I have a slower 0V to 0.25V signal on the black and screen wire from th AIS engine. But there is a permanent 4.6 V between R- and R+ and between R+ and GND on the converter. With no signal being sent or received surely there should not be 4.6V there.

Anyone able to test there own?
Thanks,
John

I don't have the Sailoog converter and I can't find the schematic for that device.
I did connect my AIS tonight  to a homebrew NMEA mux and it does not work.
This leads me to believe the NASA AIS is only compatible with NMEAv1 which is RS232 compliant , not RS422 as with the Sailoog converter.
Your converter may not be faulty at all.
You may want to get a serial to USB converter, they can be found on eBay for a few dollars. Mine works like a charm with the NASA AIS.

Hope this helps