OpenMarine

Full Version: How do I pipe temp data from 1W to kplex for distribution as NMEA0183
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

got my AP working, did the set-up on the boat - serial data is all working like a charm. Great.

Now my question: I have a DS18B20 in the engine room, i'd like to pipe it's data to the cockpit instrument which reads the nmea sentence $**MTW.

On OP 0.17 I did configure on the 1W-tab a SignalK key, which in turn was taken into the NMEA-Generator to create the MTW-sentence.

On OP 1.0 a can create a SignalK-key but the NMEA-Generator dosn't allow anymore to create MTW-sentences.
When I look into SignalK debug window in 1W-tab, there is already a MTW-sentence coming from OPkplex with no data.
But: none of my instruments (GPS & radio & AIS) feeds a MTW-sentence to kplex. So where does it come from?
If I try to assign my 1W-sensor to the same key (environment.water.temp), SignalK shows it as coming from OPsensor, and lists it with correct data alongside the other key from OPkplex with no data. But I find no way to translate correct data to MTW-sentence.

Thanks in advance for any help
Christian
Now NMEA generator is only for special cases. Signal k to NMEA 0183 conversion is done by the signal k plugin "Convert Signal K to NMEA0183". To generate a MTW sentence login to signal k and go to plugin config - Convert Signal K to NMEA0183, select the sentence, enable conversion and you are done.
ops, wait. Probably you want to send this by serial and this version does not work the same way than 0.17.0
Now signal k is at the end instead of kplex and all NMEA 0183 data is sent by TCP 10110 but there is no way to send this by serial. Is this your case?
We should add a new assignment type in Serial tab called NMEA 0183 output.
i have been trying to get water temp to opencpn dash with mqtt and have never gotten it to work right v.010 up to v1.0
set in sk plug in nmea converter to use mtw
right now it shows in sk diag. opsensors.mqtt.watertemp env.water.temp ..when i heat it up value goes up in diag in K value
in opcpn dash shows -244 when heated up the value goes down.??
(2018-06-15, 05:07 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]ops, wait. Probably you want to send this by serial and this version does not work the same way than 0.17.0
Now signal k is at the end instead of kplex and all NMEA 0183 data is sent by TCP 10110 but there is no way to send this by serial. Is this your case?
We should add a new assignment type in Serial tab called NMEA 0183 output.

Yes, this should go via serial to the cockpit instrument.

In serial tab I added the USB-serial converter, in Kplex I configured it as output, and kplex mixes nicely the NMEA sentences from the other sources. This side was easy. Just missing the temp ...

Thanks a lot for your work
Christian
Yes, in 0.17.0 kplex output was the final output and all NMEA 0183 data was multiplexed there but now signal k is the final output for NMEA 0183 (TCP 10110) since it gets data from all sources and translates to NMEA 0183 data. We forgot to create a serial output for TCP 10110 Wink we will try to add this on next update
Great. Do you have a sort of timeline for the update???? I am preparing the boat for summer family cruise, would like to have it all working...

In the meantime: would it work to read in with kplex TCP 10110 stream and filter only $**MTW sentence to get it multiplexed into the other serial stream? Or do I risk to create a loop?

Cheers
Christian
Is this the same with Nmea2000 ? I have 4 1wire sensors installed but can't see a way of getting them onto the network. I can set them up and give them names but can't find a way to output them to the 2k network
(2018-06-15, 09:41 PM)CVL Wrote: [ -> ]Great. Do you have a sort of timeline for the update???? I am preparing the boat for summer family cruise, would like to have it all working...

In the meantime: would it work to read in with kplex TCP 10110 stream and filter only $**MTW sentence to get it multiplexed into the other serial stream? Or do I risk to create a loop?

Cheers
Christian

Sorry I can not give you a timeline but I will try to do this on next v1.0.3 maybe v1.1.0

Yes, you will create a loop nbecause signal k will get all data unfiltered.
(2018-06-16, 07:37 AM)keithwhite Wrote: [ -> ]Is this the same with Nmea2000 ? I have 4 1wire sensors installed but can't see a way of getting them onto the network. I can set them up and give them names but can't find a way to output them to the 2k network

No. You will need a CAN-USB converter to send signal k data to your N2K network. You need also that the signal k keys to send are suported, see "signal k to N2K converter" list on CAN tab.
Pages: 1 2 3