OpenMarine

Full Version: moitessier hat - AIS reception varies by power source
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I am using a Traco TMDC 20-2411. It's a wide input voltage range, industrial switching regulator. During a trip on STS Fryderyk Chopin I used it in series with another regulator - a 230V laptop charger and the reception was still awesome. I have tried a 1/4 wavelength helical VHF antenna and a 1/4 "stripped cable" type improvised antenna, both on a 10 m long cable, even the second got signal from several miles. I will conclude the experiment in a video one day.

You have mentioned UPS HATs in this thread, I am testing powerbank + PIJuice, the GPS reception is neat, did not have possibility to see AIS, so far. I have a video about that setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faPduQ7omaI
(2020-02-17, 10:53 PM)Hungarpol Wrote: [ -> ]I am using a Traco TMDC 20-2411. It's a wide input voltage range, industrial switching regulator. During a trip on STS Fryderyk Chopin I used it in series with another regulator - a 230V laptop charger and the reception was still awesome. I have tried a 1/4 wavelength helical VHF antenna and a 1/4 "stripped cable" type improvised antenna, both on a 10 m long cable, even the second got signal from several miles. I will conclude the experiment in a video one day.

You have mentioned UPS HATs in this thread, I am testing powerbank + PIJuice, the GPS reception is neat, did not have possibility to see AIS, so far. I have a video about that setup:

Nice video, more please! Heart
(2019-01-20, 11:20 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: [ -> ]... well nobody used the Pico .... but how about the StromPi3 ? - anyone used/tested the StromPi3 with the accu add-on on top of the Moitessier hat?

although it's an old post I'd like to share my experience with strompi3 and MH (first gen) on Raspberry 3B

Strompi3 supports up to 3 power input sources: via 6-60V wide input, 5V mUSB and an optional 3.4V LiFePO4-battery hat
After initial setup + software quirks I successfully used my setup during the 2019 sailing season. No problems apart from that:

AIS reception is very poor as soon as main power supply is set to wide input (attached to 12V).
Only few ships are recognized within a few miles. When empowering StromPi via either mUSB or battery hat, reception vastly improves:
many more ships are detected and range extends to 10miles, although I am just using a simple flowerpot antenna

As it appears, the DC/DC converter built in the Strompi3 does not meet requirements set by Moitessier Hat's RF components.

Michael
thanks for this valuable info
If I plan to use my VHF antenna for the AIS Receiver on the Mortisier Hat, do I need to add a VHF splitter? Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010F6JK86/ref...VEbVATAJ6J
Hello,
The linked article does not work for your project.
You need one of these.

https://www.ensslin.com/em-trak-210/a-21...7JEALw_wcB

Greetings Jürgen

P.s. I recommend a 2 if possible.

P.s. 2. Please create a new thread for it, because here it is explicitly only about the power supply of the Raspberry.
As a rule, the utilization of the AIS recipient is profoundly vitality serious. Also, the new Rpi have more power and require a more serious vitality source.

Regularly, results of Chinese birthplace are not of adequate quality to satisfy this need, I have seen with my own eyes.

Your issue might be in the 12 volts to 5-volt converter - in all probability - or in the link that sends the current to the Rpi.

Most Chinese connectors transport all things considered 2.1 amps and that is insufficient. You can utilize a second 12vlt to 5-volt connector associated with the GPIO pins, it worked for me, or buy one of the qc 3.0 connectors that generally conveys more force.
(2020-02-17, 10:53 PM)Hungarpol Wrote: [ -> ]I am using a Traco TMDC 20-2411. It's a wide input voltage range, industrial switching regulator. During a trip on STS Fryderyk Chopin I used it in series with another regulator - a 230V laptop charger and the reception was still awesome. I have tried a 1/4 wavelength helical VHF antenna and a 1/4 "stripped cable" type improvised antenna, both on a 10 m long cable, even the second got signal from several miles. I will conclude the experiment in a video one day.

As a rule, the utilization of the AIS recipient is profoundly vitality serious. Also, the new Rpi have more power and require a more serious vitality source. 

Regularly, results of Chinese birthplace are not of adequate quality to satisfy this need, I have seen with my own eyes. 

Your issue might be in the 12 volts to 5-volt converter - in all probability - or in the link that sends the current to the Rpi. 

Most Chinese connectors transport all things considered 2.1 amps and that is insufficient. You can utilize a second 12vlt to 5-volt connector associated with the GPIO pins, it worked for me, or buy one of the qc 3.0 connectors that generally conveys more force.
New kernel version 5.10.60 - please update driver!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5