OpenMarine

Full Version: Make Raspberry Pi GPS HAT Work in OpenPlotter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I bought this GPS HAT, when I connect the antenna, the Green LED is blinking, indicating that there is a GPS connection.
But I do not get any data from /dev/ttyAMA0, how can I make it to work on OpenPlotter?

I followed the tutorial here.

I am running Openplotter 0.8 on a RPI 3
When you do a "cat /dev/ttyAMA0" you get no data?

How long did you leave it on? There is a good possibility that it won't generate any data until it has a full position lock. That can often take quite a while even with a clear view of the sky. Indoors, this can take much longer.

Richard
the manual says it has a lock when the green led is blinking, it does that almost immediately.

It was turned on for 30 minutes or so, but no data was coming through.

When I connect the antenna I use to my old Garmin 128 GPS, it has GPS lock almost immediately.
(2016-07-19, 08:05 PM)Ewald Harmsen Wrote: [ -> ]the manual says it has a lock when the green led is blinking, it does that almost immediately.

When I connect the antenna I use to my old Garmin 128 GPS, it has GPS lock almost immediately.
Do you get anything when you run the following command?

cat /dev/ttyAMA0
(2016-07-19, 11:03 PM)Vamonos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-19, 08:05 PM)Ewald Harmsen Wrote: [ -> ]the manual says it has a lock when the green led is blinking, it does that almost immediately.

Do you get anything when you run the following command?

cat /dev/ttyAMA0

No, it just says there without output, untill I killl it
Found the solution thanks to Google and other people, you have to enable a dummy serial port:

Enable extra serial port:
Sudo nano /boot/config.txt
add the following to the bottom: enable_uart=1
save and exit
The port is now available as ttyS0 or as serial0

Disable the console output for that port:
sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyS0.service
sudo systemctl disable serial-getty@ttyS0.service
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
Remove the line: console=serial0,115200

Reboot
Add ttyS0 to openplotter as incoming serial port

(2016-07-24, 07:46 AM)Ewald Harmsen Wrote: [ -> ]Found the solution thanks to Google and other people, you have to enable a dummy serial port:

Enable extra serial port:
Sudo nano /boot/config.txt
add the following to the bottom: enable_uart=1
save and exit
The port is now available as ttyS0 or as serial0

Disable the console output for that port:
sudo systemctl stop serial-getty@ttyS0.service
sudo systemctl disable serial-getty@ttyS0.service
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
Remove the line: console=serial0,115200

Reboot
Add ttyS0 to openplotter as incoming serial port

Is maybe a good idea to include this fix in a new release of open plotter.
serial0 is a reference to ttyAMA0 on RPI2 and to ttyS0 on RPI3
I have a GPS shield on a RPi 3. I have it set up to get a fix, and I can cat data from either /dev/ttyAMA0 or /dev/serial0. I am running openplotter 0.10.0alpha.

I cannot get openplotter to see either of the ports and I cannot see any way to add it manually.

Also, and I don't know whether this is just because it is not getting any GPS data, but I cannot get to the chart plotter. All I get when I launch is the screen with the tabs on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nevermind.

I guess I had the baud rate wrong or something. Working now.