OpenMarine

Full Version: Low Cost Smart Display From a Large Screen In-Dash Radio?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone thought about using one of these as an outside display?

https://www.banggood.com/9-Inch-2DIN-And...rehouse=CN

Since it runs Android 8.1 , I would think (hope) the Android version of OpenCPN could be run on it. It's waterproof and has a touch screen.
(2019-03-22, 03:56 PM)abarrow Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone thought about using one of these as an outside display?

https://www.banggood.com/9-Inch-2DIN-And...rehouse=CN

Since it runs Android 8.1 , I would think (hope) the Android version of OpenCPN could be run on it. It's waterproof and has a touch screen.

I think they are talking about a camera being waterproof. Some of the comments state its not running 8.1 oreo but 8.1 go.

I  have looked at a few of these also but haven't found one that will work.
I have something similar in my Jeep.  That's a phenomenal price!  I think i paid nearly $400, but mine is specifically fitted to the dash opening.

It is basically like a big Android Phone, runs everything off the Google Store.  You can also "sideload" from a USB drive or MicroSD card.  I don't see any ports on this one though?
I can try to see if OpenCPN will load on mine and let you know.  I'm pretty sure it's running 8.0.

However:
1. I don't actually think the screen is waterproof.  And I definitely know the rest of the enclosure is not.  But for $100 it seems like it's a nice choice for inside the cabin, as it's totally self contained.
2. The one I have is absolutely not sunlight readable.  It's terrible and you can't see it at all when I have the top down in the Jeep.
3. Be careful on the detailed specs.  This was actually my second unit in the Jeep - you get what you pay for.  The RAM is important, as well as processor speed and # of processor cores.  My first unit only had 1Gb (like this one) and 16Gb of Additional space and a 4 core processor.  However the Android OS partition only liked installing apps on the 1Gb RAM and thus you quickly ran out of space for applications and the performance sucked.  My new one has 4Gb of RAM and 32GB of memory and a 8 core, which makes it much much better.

If you get the right one, it would be a cool device in the cabin as it would run all sorts of Android apps (think Audible, YouTube, Spotify, etc), hopefully OpenCPN, and added benefit of being your stereo!
(2019-04-23, 06:45 PM)sjgharib Wrote: [ -> ]I have something similar in my Jeep.  That's a phenomenal price!  I think i paid nearly $400, but mine is specifically fitted to the dash opening.

It is basically like a big Android Phone, runs everything off the Google Store.  You can also "sideload" from a USB drive or MicroSD card.  I don't see any ports on this one though?
I can try to see if OpenCPN will load on mine and let you know.  I'm pretty sure it's running 8.0.

However:
1. I don't actually think the screen is waterproof.  And I definitely know the rest of the enclosure is not.  But for $100 it seems like it's a nice choice for inside the cabin, as it's totally self contained.
2. The one I have is absolutely not sunlight readable.  It's terrible and you can't see it at all when I have the top down in the Jeep.
3. Be careful on the detailed specs.  This was actually my second unit in the Jeep - you get what you pay for.  The RAM is important, as well as processor speed and # of processor cores.  My first unit only had 1Gb (like this one) and 16Gb of Additional space and a 4 core processor.  However the Android OS partition only liked installing apps on the 1Gb RAM and thus you quickly ran out of space for applications and the performance sucked.  My new one has 4Gb of RAM and 32GB of memory and a 8 core, which makes it much much better.

If you get the right one, it would be a cool device in the cabin as it would run all sorts of Android apps (think Audible, YouTube, Spotify, etc), hopefully OpenCPN, and added benefit of being your stereo!

Ok, OpenCPN loads just fine.  However the display resolution on the unit i have is not very high, as a result it's not very useable...  
Also someone on this site showed me the "process charts" button which speeds up the RPI use of ENC charts.  I couldn't find that on the android version?  As a result the chart use is frustratingly slow...
update to this

I have been evaluating a number of options - the best setup i found:

ODROID-XU4 SBC running Android OS:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0163GEA64/ref...5Cb5G1NXC9

eMMC is faster than an SD Card
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WL8TW3/ref...5CbCGZ4Q21

and this is an awesome 1920x1080i touch screen that is powered by the USB cable from the ODROID
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R1Y1XHP/ref...5Cb3AXXKAT

I added a long-range USB WiFi dongle, and a WiFi GPS puck for location.

Since this runs Android, you can run the paid version of OpenCPN (it's $10) that has the "process charts" button. It also will run Navionics Boating App and anything else that runs on Android...