OpenMarine

Full Version: Warning !!! Counterfeit usb gps modules on ebay !!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=412]
Hi folks !
Since a few weeks, ebay is invaded by counterfeit USB GPS modules : after an autopsy of the 1st DOA item, it looks like an antenna, with its coax cable, to which is attached ... an USB connector !

This design, due to a brainless monkey, will not make you loose your money (Paypal refunds within a week), but your time : you will have lost 4 to 6 weeks in your project development, if you needed a gps !!!

I received twice the same bullshit, though after the 1st experience I had ordered a different type, but I finaly received, as a 'replacement', the dummy gps unit(s) !
BTW, ebay doesn't accept the word "bullshit" but the expression 'Cow excrement' doesn't trigger the politeness bot !

Now I shop on Aliexpress, without any illusion ...
(2019-03-26, 10:20 PM)Didier B Wrote: [ -> ]Hi folks !
Since a few weeks, ebay is invaded by counterfeit USB GPS modules : after an autopsy of the 1st DOA item, it looks like an antenna, with its coax cable, to which is attached ... an USB connector !

This design, due to a brainless monkey, will not make you loose your money (Paypal refunds within a week), but your time : you will have lost 4 to 6 weeks in your project development, if you needed a gps !!!

I received twice the same bullshit, though after the 1st experience I had ordered a different type, but I finaly received, as a 'replacement', the dummy gps unit(s) !
BTW, ebay doesn't accept the word "bullshit" but the expression 'Cow excrement' doesn't trigger the politeness bot !

Now I shop on Aliexpress, without any illusion ...
Thanks,
Cool

Did you write to eBay, maybe the item and seller will be blocked?

But it's probably also lost time.  A new seller will be created and you're ready to go. 

Thanks again for the info.

Greetings Jürgen
i've seen those i thought it looked wrong, in the description it says
Package List: 1 * Antenna
i have never seen a gps that takes a usb antenna..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-IN-1-Usb-Gps-...fresh=true
(2019-03-27, 08:34 AM)jim321 Wrote: [ -> ]i've seen those i thought it looked wrong, in the description it says
Package List: 1 * Antenna
i have never seen a gps that takes a usb antenna..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-IN-1-Usb-Gps-...fresh=true

Sorry Jim, is your eBay item link the "counterfeit" o ra genuine dual GPS/Glonass?
YES "counterfeit"
usb has usually 4 contacts, how does this map to coax??

Can it be cut and at least used as a gps antenna?
(2019-03-27, 05:32 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: [ -> ]usb has usually 4 contacts, how does this map to coax??

Can it be cut and at least used as a gps antenna?
I would like to find SMA cable connectors to be welded...