OpenMarine

Full Version: Server Hardware for openplotter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Good morning,
finally I have assembled everything: raspberry pi 4, hat2, MCS with openplotter2.
All up-to-date and working. Lastly I installed a 240 gb external non self-powered SSD connected to usb3 with openplotter and eliminated the sd card. But due to the voltage drop that OP detects .... I plugged in a self-powered HUB and consequently attached the SSD to the HUB. I got the power supply from the GND pin and from the +12 enable pin so that when the system is turned on, the HUB is also powered. BUT here's the problem: at shutdown that MCS should do it doesn't happen until I turn off the power to the HUB.
Solution????
Thank you
(2020-09-25, 03:22 PM)niklun Wrote: [ -> ]Good morning,
finally I have assembled everything: raspberry pi 4, hat2, MCS with openplotter2.
All up-to-date and working. Lastly I installed a 240 gb external non self-powered SSD connected to usb3 with openplotter and eliminated the sd card. But due to the voltage drop that OP detects .... I plugged in a self-powered HUB and consequently attached the SSD to the HUB. I got the power supply from the GND pin and from the +12 enable pin so that when the system is turned on, the HUB is also powered. BUT here's the problem: at shutdown that MCS should do it doesn't happen until I turn off the power to the HUB.
Solution????
Thank you

I think it’s backfired of power from usb hub. You can
cover one pin with electrical tape in the USB cable. 
Here is the picture
Thanks, Mgrouch, I had already seen your solution. But it is interesting in the case of using only a self-powered HUB, but which does not need to operate with a system that includes the auto-off button for everything, as is the case in the GEDAD MCS board.
This below is my assembly diagram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RghxzVS...sp=sharing

So when the switch is turned off, the system does not turn off because it is powered by the USB, but if I switch off the power on the USB of the HUB, the SSD turns off, which is not good causing an unsafe system shutdown.

Solutions ??

(2020-09-25, 10:35 PM)mgrouch Wrote: [ -> ]
Solution????
Thank you

Here is the picture
(2020-09-26, 08:00 AM)niklun Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, Mgrouch, I had already seen your solution. But it is interesting in the case of using only a self-powered HUB, but which does not need to operate with a system that includes the auto-off button for everything, as is the case in the GEDAD MCS board.
This below is my assembly diagram.

So when the switch is turned off, the system does not turn off because it is powered by the USB, but if I switch off the power on the USB of the HUB, the SSD turns off, which is not good causing an unsafe system shutdown.

Solutions ??

Solution????
Thank you

Here is the picture

Having safe shutdown usually means having momentary button which if you hold
it long enough triggers shutdown and power off (pi and hub) is triggered after shutdown (i. e. safe)
Doesn’t MCS board support that? I thought this is what safe shutdown means. 
Requires also few scripts installed on OS level.
(2020-09-26, 03:44 PM)mgrouch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-09-26, 08:00 AM)niklun Wrote: [ -> ]Grazie, Mgrouch, avevo già visto la tua soluzione. Ma è interessante nel caso di utilizzo solo di un HUB autoalimentato, ma che non necessita di funzionare con un sistema che includa il pulsante di autospegnimento per tutto, come nel caso della scheda MCS GEDAD.
Questo sotto è il mio schema di assemblaggio.

Quindi quando l'interruttore è spento, il sistema non si spegne perché è alimentato dall'USB, ma se spengo l'alimentazione sull'USB dell'HUB, l'SSD si spegne, il che non va bene causando un arresto del sistema non sicuro.

Soluzioni ??

(2020-09-25, 03:22 PM)niklun Wrote: [ -> ]Buongiorno,
finalmente ho assemblato tutto: raspberry pi 4, hat2, MCS con openplotter2.
Tutto aggiornato e funzionante. Infine ho installato un SSD esterno da 240 gb non autoalimentato collegato a usb3 con openplotter ed eliminato la scheda sd. Ma a causa della caduta di tensione che OP rileva ... Ho collegato un HUB autoalimentato e di conseguenza ho collegato l'SSD all'HUB. Ho ricevuto l'alimentazione dal pin GND e dal pin di abilitazione +12 in modo che quando il sistema è acceso, anche l'HUB è alimentato. MA ecco il problema: allo spegnimento quello che dovrebbe fare MCS non accade finché non spengo l'alimentazione all'HUB.
Soluzione????
Grazie

Penso che sia fallito di alimentazione dall'hub USB. È possibile
coprire un pin con nastro isolante nel cavo USB. 
Ecco la foto

Avere uno spegnimento sicuro di solito significa avere un pulsante momentaneo che se lo tieni premuto
abbastanza a lungo innesca lo spegnimento e lo spegnimento (pi e hub) viene attivato dopo lo spegnimento (cioè sicuro)
La scheda MCS non lo supporta? Ho pensato che questo fosse il significato di spegnimento sicuro. 
Richiede anche pochi script installati a livello di sistema operativo.
Yes the MCS card supports it. It's perfect. I have a switch on the board that initiates the safe shutdown of the software and after a few seconds it cuts power. So when I connect the SSD directly to the RPI (I repeat that I no longer use the micro sd card, but I only use the external SSD) I switch on and off safely, everything is perfect except the excessive absorption that the SSD causes to the system. So I have to apply an external power supply to the SSD and I do this, as you see in the diagram, with the HUB self-powered through the 12 volt connection and 5 volt converter. I connect the SSD to the HUB. In this way I turn on the system ... everything works fine until it is turned off which does not happen because voltage remains on the +12 enable, given by the USB where the HUB is connected. To start the safe shutdown, I have to switch off the 12 volt power supply to the HUB and then the MCS auto shutdown script starts.
How much current can the MCS integrated 5V power supply give? The solution could be to build-in a more powerful one (a modification on a future version of the MCS) or by-pass it with an independent one that is more powerful.
(2020-09-27, 05:43 AM)Sailabout Wrote: [ -> ]How much current can the MCS integrated 5V power supply give? The solution could be to build-in a more powerful one (a modification on a future version of the MCS) or by-pass it with an independent one that is more powerful.
The current supplied by the MCS power supply is 3 Amps low for use with a direct attached SSD. As I said, I am using an independent power supply to bypass the problem. But this creates problems in shutting down the software and hardware correctly and safely, as the MCS does without an external power supply. All this is due to the need to have a short period of power supply from the USB during the shutdown phase.
(2020-09-28, 12:26 AM)niklun Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-09-27, 05:43 AM)Sailabout Wrote: [ -> ]How much current can the MCS integrated 5V power supply give? The solution could be to build-in a more powerful one (a modification on a future version of the MCS) or by-pass it with an independent one that is more powerful.
The current supplied by the MCS power supply is 3 Amps low for use with a direct attached SSD. As I said, I am using an independent power supply to bypass the problem. But this creates problems in shutting down the software and hardware correctly and safely, as the MCS does without an external power supply. All this is due to the need to have a short period of power supply from the USB during the shutdown phase.

5V 3amps is 15watts. It should be enough to power SSD and more.
(2020-09-28, 02:04 AM)mgrouch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-09-28, 12:26 AM)niklun Wrote: [ -> ]

5V 3amps is 15watts. It should be enough to power SSD and more.

I solved, with a suggestion from JamieFL, the problem of safe shutdown with self-powered SSDs and HUBs. By applying a diode on the +12 enable so as to have no return current. The MCS now does its job perfectly. Now I'm going to apply a Pimoroni fan with RPI temperature control.

Thank you all.
Also, I find it really handy to have a node red dashboard so you can reboot or shutdown the Pi from a webpage on a tablet/phone/laptop.

Flow here with a countdown timer to turn off my music as well should anyone be interested >

Code:
[
   {
       "id": "26d6c7a0.d43558",
       "type": "ui_slider",
       "z": "346f9605.5900aa",
       "name": "Auto Turn Off",
       "label": "Minutes",
       "tooltip": "",
       "group": "d4a061b3.6ae9d",
       "order": 2,
       "width": 0,
       "height": 0,
       "passthru": true,
       "outs": "end",
       "topic": "",
       "min": 0,
       "max": "70",
       "step": 1,
       "x": 110,
       "y": 460,
       "wires": [
           [
               "e694c854.c75008"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "ea149bfc.8f3d68",
       "type": "exec",
       "command": "sudo killall clementine",
       "addpay": false,
       "append": "",
       "useSpawn": "false",
       "timer": "",
       "oldrc": false,
       "name": "",
       "x": 780,
       "y": 420,
           [],
           [],
           []
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "e694c854.c75008",
       "type": "function",
       "name": "seconds to minutes",
       "func": "if(msg.topic!=\"countdown\"){\n    msg.timeout=msg.payload*60;\nreturn msg;}",
       "outputs": 1,
       "noerr": 0,
       "x": 310,
           [
               "845b73a0.3c363"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "fddca3e2.bc0fc",
       "command": "mpc stop",
       "x": 740,
       "y": 480,
           [],
           [],
           []
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "b667bd5a.a94f2",
       "type": "inject",
       "repeat": "",
       "crontab": "",
       "once": false,
       "onceDelay": 0.1,
       "payload": "25",
       "payloadType": "num",
       "x": 130,
           [
               "26d6c7a0.d43558"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "845b73a0.3c363",
       "type": "mytimeout",
       "outtopic": "",
       "outsafe": "",
       "outwarning": "",
       "outunsafe": "off",
       "warning": "1",
       "timer": "3",
       "debug": false,
       "ndebug": false,
       "ignoreCase": false,
       "repeat": false,
       "again": false,
       "x": 550,
           [
               "fddca3e2.bc0fc",
               "ea149bfc.8f3d68"
           ],
           [
               "9ea7b2c0.97ad6"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "7ae79492.3b9f3c",
       "type": "ui_text",
       "order": 1,
       "width": 0,
       "height": 0,
       "label": "Time til turn off",
       "format": "{{msg.payload}}",
       "layout": "row-spread",
       "x": 520,
       "y": 500,
       "wires": []
   },
   {
       "id": "9ea7b2c0.97ad6",
       "type": "function",
       "name": "minutesCountdown",
       "func": "var temp = msg.payload;\nvar minutes = parseInt(temp/60);\nvar seconds = temp - minutes*60;\nmsg.payload = minutes.toString() + \":\" + seconds.toString();\nvar newMsg = { payload: minutes};\nnewMsg.topic = \"countdown\";\nreturn [msg, newMsg];",
       "outputs": 2,
       "noerr": 0,
       "x": 310,
       "y": 500,
           [
               "7ae79492.3b9f3c"
           ],
           [
               "26d6c7a0.d43558"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "d1d09e6b.4fc3d",
       "type": "comment",
       "name": "Dashboard off timer",
       "info": "",
       "x": 150,
       "y": 380,
       "wires": []
   },
   {
       "id": "210a837e.f5231c",
       "type": "ui_button",
       "order": 3,
       "width": "2",
       "height": "1",
       "passthru": false,
       "label": "Reboot",
       "color": "",
       "bgcolor": "",
       "icon": "",
       "payload": "",
       "payloadType": "str",
       "x": 130,
       "y": 580,
           [
               "81aab8e9.0c53b8"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "81aab8e9.0c53b8",
       "command": "sudo reboot",
       "name": "reboot",
       "x": 330,
       "y": 580,
           [],
           [],
           []
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "3ac279ec.11c376",
       "type": "ui_button",
       "order": 3,
       "width": "2",
       "height": "1",
       "passthru": false,
       "label": "Shutdown",
       "color": "",
       "bgcolor": "",
       "icon": "",
       "payload": "",
       "payloadType": "str",
       "x": 120,
       "y": 640,
           [
               "6725eec.382e01"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "6725eec.382e01",
       "command": "sudo shutdown",
       "name": "shutdown",
       "x": 330,
       "y": 640,
           [],
           [],
           []
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "d4a061b3.6ae9d",
       "type": "ui_group",
       "z": "",
       "name": "Auto Off",
       "tab": "e93ef2b0.f7b94",
       "disp": true,
       "width": "6",
       "collapse": false
   },
   {
       "id": "e93ef2b0.f7b94",
       "type": "ui_tab",
       "z": "",
       "name": "Web Radio",
       "icon": "dashboard",
       "order": 1,
       "disabled": false,
       "hidden": false
   }
]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38