OpenMarine

Full Version: Raspberry Pi 4 released!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(2019-09-26, 04:40 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-25, 08:58 PM)rastam4n Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-23, 04:08 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-18, 06:27 PM)rastam4n Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-18, 05:49 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Once again Smile
You do not need any connection in opencpn but the input TCP localhost 10110. Remove any one else.
You have to create the connection TCP localhost 20220 in SK.

Remember that Signal K is the heart of this, it is in charge of getting all data from everywhere. Opencpn only listen at TCP localhost 10110. In OpenPlotter 2 there is a useful tool in openplotter settings called "check system". There you will get important clues of what is wrong in your system (pypilot no implemented yet).

Hi Sailoog

I understand about opencpn, I have one connection in the opencpn connection tab which is localhost 10110

I have added a connection in signal k for 1. ttyUSB0 and 2. localhost 20220. 

The connection to 20220 is giving errors, "connect ECONREFUSED 127.0.0.1:20220

check system is not reporting any problems

"(pypilot no implemented yet)"  what does this mean? I understand that the autopilot function is not working but for IMU only it is, I can see the data the IMU is working and it is calibrated. 

is it set to refuse connections from signal k? I don't understand to enabling the IMU if the data is not accessible?

ops, shit. sorry, it is my fault.

TCP is not the connection you have to create in SK. You have to create UDP localhost port 52000 to get IMU data in SK.

TCP localhost 20220 will be the connection for autopiot and it will be NMEA 0183 (not working yet).

sorry again, too much in my head...

I understand. Thank you for the clarification,

Unfortunately this is still not working.. Is there anything else I need to do? Here is what I added to SK connections tab. I am not getting any error but the connection is not listed on the dashboard and there is no data on my opencpn dashboard.

Has this been confirmed to work?

OK I know what happens here. You are expecting NMEA 0183 data and what you are getting is signal k data.

Pypilot has 2 modes, "only IMU" and "autopilot".
In IMU mode we send signal k data for heading, trim and heel by UDP 52000.
In autopilot mode we send trim and heel by UDP 52000 in signal k format and heading in NMEA 0183 format by TCP 20220.

This will be explained in docs of course.

Thank you Sailoog

So interesting thing, the pitch and roll is being shown in the opencpn pypilot plugin calibration window but the mag.heading is not. So the data is there, how can i get this data showing in my dashboard plugin?
Hi everybody, 

I was so impressed by the "à la carte" way to install and maintain   OP 2.0, Congratulations !

Since 2 weeks now I could put my hands on a Pi4 4 GB, I made an USB SSD install using this turorial, describing the 'old school' way, necessary due to Pi4 premature launch, and consequential under achieved development, (Use of an SD card for the /boot directory, while the /Root directory is installed on the USB SSD - take care, some have been life banned from the organisation's forums as they protested eagerly against that ) !

At first I experienced some instability issues (vanishing desktop, freezing, openCPN crashes), all this was due to a bad quality USB extension 'cord', I ordered new ones, and temporarily replaced it with a good, thick, short (1') USB2.0 cord, It is now 100% stable and starts like a rocket : 35 s to boot up, 'System Check' included !

I also noticed that OpenCPN conf file does no longer get lost, as It used to do with  either  my Pi 2, 3 or 3B+, though all is not clear in OCPN5.5 configuration, see Cruiser's forum 

Whatsoever, we do need a place to report & discuss supposed anomalies (e.g. I can't get OpenCPN to launch automatically, is it due to state of dev., or to my configuration, or what ?) (***)
Globally OP 2 is working like a charm, I started the process to box it up to install it in the nav station ! (OK Sailoog, I'll keep OP 1.2 for a while too) !

Merci Braz, Thank you, Gracias, oui, un SUPER MERCI à toutes et tous pour tout cela !

(***) EDIT 2019/10/06 : after the morning's upgrade, I had the good surprise to see OpenCPN start automatically !
Lol. Didier I did the same thing and ended up using the same method.
Didier, I did the exact same process to get OP2 up and running on my new RPI4. I used an SSD adapter that was designed for RPI3, so the little short USB jumper is in the wrong place, but that was quickly solved by a male-male USB cable.

Openplotter installed great on top of the full Buster image.

I'm impressed at how fast OpenCPN runs. However, I am finding that it is freezing from time to time. I've played around with GPU and video memory and it seems to have lessened the problem, but I still occasionally get freezes.

One question, is anyone else using MBTiles charts with OpenCPN? Since they require OpenGL, I'm thinking that might be the source of my freezes. I really, really like MBTiles charts - they provide more color, are smaller, and are very easy to create with SASPlanet.

Much appreciation to Sailoog and the whole team for their hard work. You guys rock!

Andy
Thanks guys, we go as faster as we can. e-sailing is working right now on openplotter-serial and I am working on openplotter-can. After both packages are done we will publish the first img and NOOBS files for translators and a first serious debugging round: http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.p...0#pid10280

Please use the debug forum to report any issue but be sure you add [OP2] to the subject or something similar.
Well, it looks like after just a few weeks with my new RPI4, it's dead.

I had it set up with OP2, and it was using an SSD for root folder. It was sitting on the desk, running fine, and we discovered we had a leak with rain coming in the window. To get the RPI out of the way, I just switched off the power without shutting down. The RPI never got wet.

Now, a couple of days later, I tried to bring it back up. Nothing. Red light, test points on the board show proper voltage, but no green light and apparently no attempts to boot at all.

I followed the instructions for re-installing the bootloader, but nothing happened. It's just not attempting to read the SD card at all.

So, I'm out $65 I guess. It was a 4GB version and working really well.

This is a very interesting issue with regards to putting this new RPI on my boat. Of course, I always try to make sure that I properly shut down my OpenPlotter system before I turn everything off, but occasionally "stuff" happens. I hope this one incident isn't an indication of the sensitivity of the new RPI4 to accidental power loss.

I did read on the main Raspberry Pi forum that the RPI4 is different - is uses onboard EEPROM to store a bootloader, and it can become corrupted. I have no way of knowing that this might be my problem, but as I said, I did follow their instructions for re-installing the bootloader with no success.

For the moment, back to my RPI3+! Be careful out there on the bleeding edge, kids.
(2019-10-03, 04:59 PM)abarrow Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it looks like after just a few weeks with my new RPI4, it's dead.

I had it set up with OP2, and it was using an SSD for root folder. It was sitting on the desk, running fine, and we discovered we had a leak with rain coming in the window. To get the RPI out of the way, I just switched off the power without shutting down. The RPI never got wet.

Now, a couple of days later, I tried to bring it back up. Nothing. Red light, test points on the board show proper voltage, but no green light and apparently no attempts to boot at all.

I followed the instructions for re-installing the bootloader, but nothing happened. It's just not attempting to read the SD card at all.

So, I'm out $65 I guess. It was a 4GB version and working really well.

This is a very interesting issue with regards to putting this new RPI on my boat. Of course, I always try to make sure that I properly shut down my OpenPlotter system before I turn everything off, but occasionally "stuff" happens. I hope this one incident isn't an indication of the sensitivity of the new RPI4 to accidental power loss.

I did read on the main Raspberry Pi forum that the RPI4 is different - is uses onboard EEPROM to store a bootloader, and it can become corrupted. I have no way of knowing that this might be my problem, but as I said, I did follow their instructions for re-installing the bootloader with no success.

For the moment, back to my RPI3+! Be careful out there on the bleeding edge, kids.

Before you throw in the towel maybe try reloading the OS on a new sd card from scratch. I have had SD cards fail and had similar results.
Thanks for that. The issue right now is that the green light isn't even flickering, which it would be doing if the PI was reading the SD card. I definitely plan to give it a try, but all indications are that if the green light isn't flashing at all, the PI is dead.
Well, as we used to say in the Ozarks, "I'll be jiggered!". I created a new SD card, put it in and powered up, and nothing happened.

Then, I thought, "Well, perhaps there's a cold solder joint somewhere", so I grabbed either end of the RPI and gently twisted, thinking just that slight stress might reconnect a cold joint.

It actually started to boot! Crazy!

I'm going to keep this one for testing here at home - it might be a while before I trust this particular RPI to navigation on my boat.
Hah! thats great!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21