OpenMarine

Full Version: Raspberry Pi 4 released!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
I have a few questions about a rpi4
cooling what are people using.
power gpio pins or usbc
By the way a generaly question:
Why all want to cooling the Pi? I use applications with high performance for Video rendering etc. I never needed a activ cooling?
I also operated Pi´s in small cases without heating problems…
And OP, opencpn and signalk didn´t need high performance of the pi… ???
For the Cooling I use the alu Flirc case. The alu case has a pillar connected with a thermal pad to the processor. The whole case act as a cooling system. No need to a use a fan. It has a plastic lid so that the Wifi can still be used.

(2019-11-01, 07:41 AM)glowntiger Wrote: [ -> ]By the way a generaly question:
Why all want to cooling the Pi? I use applications with high performance for Video rendering etc. I never needed a activ cooling?
I also operated Pi´s in small cases without heating problems…
And OP, opencpn and signalk didn´t need high performance of the pi… ???

With SignalK you can add the temperature measurement of the processor. The RPI becomes very hot (too hot  ?) and certainly needs some way of cooling.

Bram
My Pi´s toggle around 55-63°C with OP, signalk and opencpn in a case at ambiente temp of ca 24°C….
The pi clocks down at 85°C. I think all below 75-80°C is ok...
You can see this by typing
vcgencmd measure_temp
With the alu Flirc case the temperature of the RPI4 processor is around 35 o C. And the case handwarm.
The flirc case is excellent as others have said but if you're really worried about heat as I was I removed the top plastic plate and added some heatsinks. I use thermal compound between the heatsink and the case.
(2019-11-01, 07:47 AM)verkerkbr Wrote: [ -> ]For the Cooling I use the alu Flirc case. The alu case has a pillar connected with a thermal pad to the processor. The whole case act as a cooling system. No need to a use a fan. It has a plastic lid so that the Wifi can still be used.

The top is alumimium like all the other sides, the plastic just clips onto the metal.
(2019-11-02, 05:33 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-01, 07:47 AM)verkerkbr Wrote: [ -> ]For the Cooling I use the alu Flirc case. The alu case has a pillar connected with a thermal pad to the processor. The whole case act as a cooling system. No need to a use a fan. It has a plastic lid so that the Wifi can still be used.

The top is alumimium like all the other sides, the plastic just clips onto the metal.

The bottom lid is plastic and wifi works with this case.
(2019-11-02, 05:48 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-02, 05:33 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: [ -> ]

The bottom lid is plastic and wifi works with this case.
You are absolutely correct. To my mind a lid is on the top of something however I acknowledge that that need not be the case. My apologies.
[attachment=604]
I procured the above case with 2 fans on ebay for less than 10 € !

- without it, but with a large passive radiator, I could monitor up to 65°C when using intensely OCPN in an ambiant of 20 °c ...
- with the above case, without powering the fans, : 55°C
- with above case when powering the fan in serial, 45°C, (40°C when idle)
- The performance can be further improved by connecting the fans in parallel, but it is not needed...

Why connect the fan in serial : each fan will pe powered in 2,5 V, which means more or less half speed and 1/4 of noise level ! Cool
I need to bring the case close to my ear to perceive it ! And that's not due to my age !
OK, I have to say that, for 1st start, I had to help the fan to turn with a gentle finger push, but that occurred once only, then they start to turn when the power is applied ...

I think I found the proper case for my on board installation : VALIDATED  Exclamation  Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21