OpenMarine

Full Version: (SOLVED) Rpi3B+ with separate WiFi dongle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i am currently flashing a second SD card to see if a fresh install fixes the issue, but while i wait for that, here is what i want to do.

Wlan0 (Rpi3+ built-in): AP for MQTT/Signal K devices, and such.
Wlan1 (dongle): use for home WiFi debug, and to provide internet.

my system was previously working, without the dongle, but i either had to have AP or local network connection. not both. so i bought the dongle, plugged it into my Rpi, booted as i have always done, and even though it shows up on the local WiFi lan, i can't connect to it via VNC, nor can the Rpi ping my local server, yet it has an internet connection (strange). i have tried so many different Lan configurations on the OpenPlotter utility, that i have forgotten what worked (hence flashing a second SD card), though i am saving the original, just in case.

i am using Openplotter 1.0.0 image (never got the update to work with just the one interface).

i suspect the WiFi dongle is not compatible with acting as an AP, yet the local WiFi keeps attaching to the Rpi on-board WiFi. the dongle is a RTL8188CU chipset. but otherwise generic.

thoughts? recommendations?

~Travis

(SOLVED 07-13-2019 05:11EST)
i managed to get the update to complete, so i am now running 1.2.0 (i think), and it all seems to be working correctly. Big Grin