OpenMarine

Full Version: TinyPilot as client instead of Access Point
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone tried to run TP as a client to OP instead of an Access point? 

I can see there are settings that can be adjusted for this but I just cannot seem to get my head around what it means and how it works...

Once TP is a client that would mean it would join the OpenPlotter network ( I would set a static IP for TP)
Then in OpenCPN under the pypilot plugin config I would change the IP address to the new TPs address
Then in settings I would change the 20220 to point to the new TP address

Is that all there is to it?

Am I missing some glaringly obvious reason why it should not work?

Also, if Openplotter is connected as a client to my main home network, and TP is connected as a client to OpenPlotter, would that mean that I can connect to TP from any computer that is on either network via ssh or via opencpn pypilot plugin? 
This would certainly make testing much easier?!
(2019-09-10, 02:06 PM)rastam4n Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tried to run TP as a client to OP instead of an Access point? 

I can see there are settings that can be adjusted for this but I just cannot seem to get my head around what it means and how it works...

Once TP is a client that would mean it would join the OpenPlotter network ( I would set a static IP for TP)
Then in OpenCPN under the pypilot plugin config I would change the IP address to the new TPs address

Yes. outside

[/quote]
If you want to use a second tinypilot as a client and control a remote tinypilot using it's local gpio over wifi it's something different but covered in the wiki.
Quote:Also, if Openplotter is connected as a client to my main home network, and TP is connected as a client to OpenPlotter, would that mean that I can connect to TP from any computer that is on either network via ssh or via opencpn pypilot plugin? 

you should have internet from the TP, but if you want to ssh in from the outside,
you need to do port forwarding to make this work, or ssh tunneling.
(2019-09-10, 02:06 PM)rastam4n Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tried to run TP as a client to OP instead of an Access point? 

Also, if Openplotter is connected as a client to my main home network, and TP is connected as a client to OpenPlotter, would that mean that I can connect to TP from any computer that is on either network via ssh or via opencpn pypilot plugin? 

I tested this configuration:
Openplotter on Rasp PI with 2 wifi interfaces:
        Int. 1 as client connected to router (actually my phone as hotspot)
        Int. 2 as AP

Tinypilot connected as client to openplotter AP interface:
        Normally It assumes a dynamic IP but is reachable via hostname ‘box’ 
        Once connected via ssh, tinypilot can reach the Internet, and thus is updatable conecting to GIT
(2019-09-10, 09:51 PM)webber63 Wrote: [ -> ]

Int. 2 as AP

Once connected via ssh, tinypilot can reach the Internet, and thus is updatable conecting to GIT

Thanks Webber

I have it set and connected as a client now, can you show me an example of how you would connect using the hostname box? Do I just replace eg 192.168.14.1 with the word "box"?

actually....

Nevermind! I just tried it and it works fine... We need a how to for this shit, stuff so simple you gotta bother people asking.

Anyhow Thanks again! ..... box ffs....
(2019-09-10, 11:05 PM)rastam4n Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-10, 09:51 PM)webber63 Wrote: [ -> ]

Int. 2 as AP

Thanks Webber

I have it set and connected as a client now, can you show me an example of how you would connect using the hostname box? Do I just replace eg 192.168.14.1 with the word "box"?

Yes:
ssh box

To try to find the actual address assigned by dhcp to tinypilot, give a:
ping -b 10.10.10.255

Interrupt it with ctrl-c after a few seconds and then:
arp -a -n

(you will get a list of active IPs on the network, one of these is your tinypilot)

This will work, of course, if tinypilot manages to connect to Openplotter WiFi

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
(2019-09-10, 11:13 PM)webber63 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes:
ssh box

To try to find the actual address assigned by dhcp to tinypilot, give a:
ping -b  10.10.10.255

Interrupt it with ctrl-c after a few seconds and then:
arp -a -n

(you will get a list of active IPs on the network, one of these is your tinypilot)

This will work, of course, if tinypilot manages to connect to Openplotter WiFi

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

actually this worked within opencpn connections tab and within the opencpn pypilot config tab... I just replaced the ip address with "box" and it worked! Maybe I should reboot to be sure....

Okay so reboot went okay everything is still connected to "box"