OpenMarine

Full Version: Linear actuator: Rudder sense with hall sensor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi people!

I've bought a linear actuator with hall sensors for my pypilot setup, but since I have absolutely no experience with hall sensors I would like to ask you if some of you got a similar setup? 

I've measured the hall outputs (it's got two hall sensors) with my multimeter, and it reads 0, -5, and +5 v in what seems to be quite random intervals. (I guess it's because of the hall sensors sending tons of signals even on a very small push)
And my understanding is: the -5 volt signal is from Hall sensor A, and the +5 volt signal is from Hall sensor B. (Or in reverse, I'm not sure)

When I look at the code from the rudder feedback, it seems to be reading a relative position as if the hall sensor used is read like a kind of potentiometer, while I understand that my actuator (and most hall sensors) only reports the rotation in pulses, how will I go about using that instead, or is pypilot also using a system like this, and I'm reading in the wrong place?
(2019-12-29, 06:08 PM)Rellek Wrote: [ -> ]Hi people!

I've bought a linear actuator with hall sensors for my pypilot setup, but since I have absolutely no experience with hall sensors I would like to ask you if some of you got a similar setup? 

I've measured the hall outputs (it's got two hall sensors) with my multimeter, and it reads 0, -5, and +5 v in what seems to be quite random intervals. (I guess it's because of the hall sensors sending tons of signals even on a very small push)
And my understanding is: the -5 volt signal is from Hall sensor A, and the +5 volt signal is from Hall sensor B. (Or in reverse, I'm not sure)

When I look at the code from the rudder feedback, it seems to be reading a relative position as if the hall sensor used is read like a kind of potentiometer, while I understand that my actuator (and most hall sensors) only reports the rotation in pulses, how will I go about using that instead, or is pypilot also using a system like this, and I'm reading in the wrong place?

I am not sure at all how you have rigged this rudder feedback sensor.   The rudder post does not rotate enough rotations to make this work.

Most hall sensors which I am using output an analog voltage for the absolute shaft angle.   This is identical to a potentiometer but has the advantage of not wearing out.
(2020-01-01, 02:51 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-12-29, 06:08 PM)Rellek Wrote: [ -> ]Hi people!

I am not sure at all how you have rigged this rudder feedback sensor.   The rudder post does not rotate enough rotations to make this work.

Most hall sensors which I am using output an analog voltage for the absolute shaft angle.   This is identical to a potentiometer but has the advantage of not wearing out.

Hi!
My motor controller is a pre-october 2019 unit made and bought from Sean.
Somebody knows what do I have to modify to connect a Hall Effect sensor?
Is a sensor like this suitable?:
  https://www.reichelt.com/it/it/hall-effe...D_BwE&&r=1

Thanks, 
Buon Vento!
I suggest an angular hall sensor which outputs voltage proportional to angle.