OpenMarine

Full Version: RPI4, V2.0, and USB tethering to android phone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone.  Rapidly learning about openplotter by playing with V2.0 on my new RPI 4.  (Incredible SW.  Thanks to all of you who have contributed.)  

Can anyone explain to me in basic steps how to configure tethering my Android phone via USB so the RPI has internet access?  I've tried to follow the documentation at https://docs.sailoog.com/ and other forum posts on the subjecty.  See screenshots for what is in my "Network Mode" and "Access Point" dropdowns.  I don't see USB0 in the dropdown.  This is while I have my phone connected with USB cable and USB tethering on (and the phone indicates charging so I know there is a connection).  I know how to use USB tethering on my phone.  I use it all the time with my laptop.

Any pointers?
If you plug in your phone and activate USB tethering, you should see USB listed at your Sharing device. Select that.

I had a problem with my service - apparently USB tethering wasn't allowed. I could do Internet sharing via hotspot, but for some reason they didn't activate USB.
To check if linux does recognize your android type in your terminal "ifconfig".
If there is no USB0 something is wrong.
Pictures: USB tethering is a client process which has nothing to do with the Access Point settings (openplotter-network) except the sharing device as @abbarrow already said.
Got it working (after I worked through an intermittent USB cable)!  Thank you both.