OpenMarine

Full Version: RPI in marine environment, rust, corrosion, cases, etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rapidly learning about OP and the RPI and beginning to think about how I will integrate into my sailboat.  Everything will be mounted below deck, but even so, how much should I be worried about corrosion, rust, etc.?  Are longtime users doing OK with their RPIs in enclosures that are not completely sealed from salt air?   ....or should I be planning to have everything completely sealed up (which introduces heat issues, particularly with my RPI4)?
(2020-01-08, 05:44 PM)w7thmark Wrote: [ -> ]Rapidly learning about OP and the RPI and beginning to think about how I will integrate into my sailboat.  Everything will be mounted below deck, but even so, how much should I be worried about corrosion, rust, etc.?  Are longtime users doing OK with their RPIs in enclosures that are not completely sealed from salt air?   ....or should I be planning to have everything completely sealed up (which introduces heat issues, particularly with my RPI4)?
Or copy your SD and spend 50 usd per year for a new raspi ... Smile
(2020-01-08, 05:44 PM)w7thmark Wrote: [ -> ]Rapidly learning about OP and the RPI and beginning to think about how I will integrate into my sailboat.  Everything will be mounted below deck, but even so, how much should I be worried about corrosion, rust, etc.?  Are longtime users doing OK with their RPIs in enclosures that are not completely sealed from salt air?   ....or should I be planning to have everything completely sealed up (which introduces heat issues, particularly with my RPI4)?
Or copy your SD and spend 50 usd per year for a new raspi ... Smile
My first attempt at pypilot consists of a lunchbox and hot glue. Next stop: A PCB. I will buy some "conformal coating" on ebay and spray everything with that. I think that will make it corrosion proof. It's what the big players do.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=conformal+coating
(2020-01-10, 09:38 AM)CapnKernel Wrote: [ -> ]My first attempt at pypilot consists of a lunchbox and hot glue.  Next stop: A PCB.  I will buy some "conformal coating" on ebay and spray everything with that.  I think that will make it corrosion proof.  It's what the big players do.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=conformal+coating

Didn't think of that!  My employer uses that (medical devices).