OpenMarine

Full Version: New Member - new OP system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings from what is usually Warm Miami - today started at 39F and may reach 62F Huh
I am new to the Raspberry Pi and Open Plotter, and my  Garmin GPS plotter's screen burned - so a good opportunity to replace it.

I want to connect: Depthfinder (Raymarine i40), Wind Instrument (Raymarine ST60), Tillerpilot (Raymarine ST1000+). I also want to be able to monitor bilge water level in each hull.Maybe connect other instruments later on. I also plan to connect to an iPadmini and maybe a laptop to display. As my elder small catamaran is spartan, I want to minimize amp usage.

My question is whether I should buy the Rp3iB+ or buy the 4? I am planning to buy the Moitissier hat in order to get GPS and AIS read. I understand Openplotter is stable with Rpi3, I am not sure if it is with Rpi4, not sure if Motissier is compatible with Rpi4? How about buying a case?

Also, I have read that I need to buy additional cables to connect the instruments as they are NMEA0183 - looking for examples or brands.
additional question is in reference to power supply to the Rpi - understand is better to have a self-powered USB hub and also buy a beefier power supply for the Rpi - looking for examples.

One last question - since buying from Miami - can I get the Motissuer hat from the US?

Thanks
Hi Carlos. Do not hesitate, Raspberry 4, moitessier hat 2 and OpenPlotter 2. Moitessier hat 2 cases are not available yet, between 18 - 20 February.

OpenPlotter 2 is near stable, maybe in 2 weeks.

Our savings are small so we do not have partners anywhere and the only place to buy is from Barcelona - Catalonia by tracked postal service or DHL express. More than hundred units already sent to USA.
moltes gràcies - thanks for the response.
(2020-01-22, 05:55 PM)MIAMIPROAS Wrote: [ -> ]moltes gràcies - thanks for the response.

Hi Carlos, raspberry 4 + OP2 (almost stable), and CAP Moitessier2 and you're done! Good wind!  Smile
Hi Carlos,

With pi4 you will be looking at 5 watts for pi
0.45amp @ 12v. Pi3b+ will be about 20% less. 
What you will find out that you LCD monitors
will consume by themselves almost just as much
at full brightness. Reducing their backlight brightness 
will give you much more energy savings
than going down to pi3b+. 
Just keep or screens off when you do not need them. 

—MG