OpenMarine

Full Version: Serial data in and out?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I am currently running OP 1.0.0 alpha on a RP3 and it works fine with GPS and AIS data in from my em-trak B100 AIS transciever connected with an USB to serial adapter. I would also like to send NMEA 1083-data out to my Raymarine ST1000 autopilot.

In Openplotter i have got one serial connection and 3 Kplex connections added automatically but I can't change the serial connection under Kplex to be both in and out. 

Isn't it possible to have one in/out going serial connection? If it is, how do I set it up? All the wiring is done and worked when I sent NMEA fronm my old GPS to the autopilot.
(2020-05-07, 11:03 AM)s99kalle Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I am currently running OP 1.0.0 alpha on a RP3 and it works fine with GPS and AIS data in from my em-trak B100 AIS transciever connected with an USB to serial adapter. I would also like to send NMEA 1083-data out to my Raymarine ST1000 autopilot.

In Openplotter i have got one serial connection and 3 Kplex connections added automatically but I can't change the serial connection under Kplex to be both in and out. 

Isn't it possible to have one in/out going serial connection? If it is, how do I set it up? All the wiring is done and worked when I sent NMEA fronm my old GPS to the autopilot.

II have a similar setup to you.
GPS,AIS and Raymarine instruments
've now moved onto OP2 but I still have a copy of my old kplex.conf file from OP1.2.
From memory I think you need to go into USB manager, advanced settings.
This opens kplex.conf for manual editing.
In there, define a port like mine below. 
I called mine "Seatlalk" as I use a NMEA/Seatalk bridge ti link to my Seatalk instruments and Autopilot

# For advanced manual configuration, please visit: http://www.stripydog.com/kplex/configuration.html
# Please do not modify defaults nor OpenPlotter GUI settings.
# Add manual settings at the end of the document.

###defaults

[udp]
name=system
direction=in
port=10110

[tcp]
name=signalk
direction=out
mode=server
port=30330

###end of defaults

###OpenPlotter GUI settings

[serial]
name=gps
direction=in
optional=yes
filename=/dev/ttyOP_gps
baud=4800
ifilter=-**GSV

[serial]
name=ais
direction=in
optional=yes
filename=/dev/ttyOP_ais
baud=38400

[serial]
name=seatalk
direction=both
optional=yes
filename=/dev/ttyOP_seatalk
baud=4800
ifilter=-**RMC:-**GLL:-**GGA

###end of OpenPlotter GUI settings

###Manual settings
Thank you!
I'll give that a try.
(2020-05-07, 12:34 PM)s99kalle Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you!
I'll give that a try.

Come over to the new world of openplotter V2..... Big Grin Cool
Much nicer  Smile
(2020-05-07, 10:52 PM)PaddyB Wrote: [ -> ]Come over to the new world of openplotter V2..... Big Grin Cool
Much nicer  Smile

Hello,

Unfortunately I am still disappointed about NMEA0183 multiplexing, filtering and "routing" in V2
For a more complex design, I couldn't find a nice and easy way to handle different nmea0183 inputs and outputs
The main option is "nmea0183out" but, IMHO, this is not a "feature", is a compromise to send some data to nmea0183 connections.
I don't know why kplex is "lost" and "ignored". In V1, kplex did the hard tasks and did it good.
Unofrtunately, in V2, kplex is almost useless and full of bugs

Imagine an old boat with old nmea0183 devices, like a garmin chartplotter, a raymarine autopilot, a vhf radio, an AIS transponder, as a basic setup.
The garmin chartplotter can work at 38400bps, same for the AIS transponder. Raymarine autopilot and vhf/dsc radio work only in 4800bps.
To get all the data from these devices into SK is nice and easy.
But to select which/what data is coming from chartplotter to autopilot (for Autopilot Track Mode) and what data is coming from AIS transponder and sent to charplotter (to show the AIS targets) is a very complicated task.
The easier option right now is to use the sk to nmea0183 plugin but all input data will be mixed and sent (without reason) to every nmea0183 device.
Is not ok to overload the vhf radio, which need only few sentences, with the data which is coming from/for autopilot
Also, AIS related data shouldn;t arrive in autopilot, 'cos is no needed there.

Maybe I am wrong and I didn't got yet the "new style" of working... but I still consider the "old" kplex did the right job in a very easy and intuitive way.

If I am really wrong, I'm asking you all nicely to point me in the right direction.

Thank you and fair winds,
Seb
(2021-07-06, 01:31 PM)sebba Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine an old boat with old nmea0183 devices, like a garmin chartplotter, a raymarine autopilot, a vhf radio, an AIS transponder, as a basic setup.
The garmin chartplotter can work at 38400bps, same for the AIS transponder. Raymarine autopilot and vhf/dsc radio work only in 4800bps.
To get all the data from these devices into SK is nice and easy.
But to select which/what data is coming from chartplotter to autopilot (for Autopilot Track Mode) and what data is coming from AIS transponder and sent to charplotter (to show the AIS targets) is a very complicated task.

Have you tried the nmea-nmea app? 
https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-serve...tting-Data
https://www.npmjs.com/package/nmea0183-to-nmea0183
Pick and choose what NMEA gets outputted by which  serial devices.
yes, I tried it once, not very impressed
also, another problem is the "Output Events" and "Sentence Event" fields, which are always overwritten.

I have a nmea0183 connection for charplotter, named garmin. For this connection, I set the "Sentence Event" field as "garmindata".
Similar for autopilot, "Sentence Events" is set to "pilotdata", for AIS connection is "aisdata" and so on.
In garmin's connection, as "Output Events", I tried to set "pilotdata" (or "pilotdata, aisdata", to have data from autopilot and from ais)
In pilot's connection, as "Output Events", I tried to write "garmindata", because garmin's data should arrive in autopilot.
But when i set "garmindata" into pilot's connections, the garmin's "Output Events" field is overwritten with "garmindata" instead the initially entered "pilotdata".

The "hardware" is a Pi4/8Mb, Kingston SSD on USB3.0 port, running latest versions of SK and OP's apps.

Thanks for your time
(2021-07-06, 02:19 PM)sebba Wrote: [ -> ]yes, I tried it once, not very impressed
also, another problem is the "Output Events" and "Sentence Event" fields, which are always overwritten.

I have a nmea0183 connection for charplotter, named garmin. For this connection, I set the "Sentence Event" field as "garmindata".
Similar for autopilot, "Sentence Events" is set to "pilotdata", for AIS connection is "aisdata" and so on.
In garmin's connection, as "Output Events", I tried to set "pilotdata" (or "pilotdata, aisdata", to have data from autopilot and from ais)
In pilot's connection, as "Output Events", I tried to write "garmindata", because garmin's data should arrive in autopilot.
But when i set "garmindata" into pilot's connections, the garmin's "Output Events" field is overwritten with "garmindata" instead the initially entered "pilotdata".

The "hardware" is a Pi4/8Mb, Kingston SSD on USB3.0 port, running latest versions of SK and OP's apps.

Thanks for your time

Tried some of that on a windows laptop and raspberry pi zero but can't recreate any of those issues. With an arduino putting out an AIS message and wind message, as a serial data connection  fill in the sentence event as "serial" and restart  signalk  and the field stays the same, data comes out of "signalk-server:eventsConfusederial" in the server log. Set nmea to nmea plugin to input event serial and output event serial2 and the data show in signalk-server:eventsConfusederial2 in the server log.
Haven't checked serial output but outputting serial2 to a tcp connection viewed in node red works fine. 

Looks like your issues might  be local, afaics signalk does exactly what it should do on 2 different installations. 

ISTR something about server event fields not being saved but can't remember what the cause was, might be false memory as well, sorry can't help more, tried to break it but it won't break. maybe try a fresh card/install and do one bit at a time? The sksim app can be useful for creating data to play with.
thanks, I'll try again with a fresh install on sdcard
fair winds
It seems is a refreshing page issue. The entered data is ok but when I switch from one connection to other, the output event field is not refreshed. Refreshing the page show the proper data.
It was very confusing but for now, knowing this, it seems to be working, at least for initial tests.
Thanks, Seb
Pages: 1 2