OpenMarine

Full Version: SDR AIS not calibrating OP2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you run "initial ppm" for hours probably you will be really close to the final ppm value, using the GSM band you just find the exact value but ppm is +/-7 tolerant.

If you get 1 ppm means that you have the Australian device or a clone and probably 1 is your final ppm.

You do not need the terminal. Using the GUI is the same you do with the terminal.
(2020-05-18, 01:46 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]If you run "initial ppm" for hours probably you will be really close to the final ppm value, using the GSM band you just find the exact value but ppm is +/-7 tolerant.

If you get 1 ppm means that you have the Australian device or a clone and probably 1 is your final ppm.

You do not need the terminal. Using the GUI is the same you do with the terminal.

Thank you Sailoog and I really appreciate all you and the team have achieved with 2.0.
All the SDR-VHF apps, except tv, are working well on my cheap and a few years old SDR with a home made whip aerial located 2m off the ground in my garden. I have tried the calibration pop-up lots of times without success however kal in terminal works every time. Out of interest, as I’m not a software engineer, where does the information go to in the programme, after clicking on the pop-up buttons which then opens the terminal and saves the initial ppm?
(2020-05-18, 01:46 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]If you run "initial ppm" for hours probably you will be really close to the final ppm value, using the GSM band you just find the exact value but ppm is +/-7 tolerant.

Sailoog - thanks again!

I set the PPM to 1 and the gain to 49.6 then set the port number (well just saved the default). Then I checked that there was an AIS connection in signal K but didn’t see anything on the page that shows live data (Data Browser - can’t remember). When I went into OpenCPN I did not see any AIS data so I rebooted and changed the antenna from the mast mounted Antenna to an antenna from a hand held unit that I had nearby.

From my mooring I can see the lake express (Lake Michigan fast ferry), so thought at least I would get that with the small antenna. I did and two other entries, not sure how far they were away.

I did try to get a radio check from 5 miles offshore using my mast mounted Antenna and got a weak and unreadable response. I need to find a meter to check how the antenna is working.
This morning is was able to spend some more time and switched to the mast mounted Antenna and found the following:

[Image: 4e79e303ae0f1aa9c81d56b504240568.jpg]

Furthest away is 17.73 Nm - seams pretty good
(2020-05-18, 03:25 PM)Johnnysails Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Sailoog and I really appreciate all you and the team have achieved with 2.0.
All the SDR-VHF apps, except tv, are working well on my cheap and a few years old SDR with a home made whip aerial located 2m off the ground in my garden. I have tried the calibration pop-up lots of times without success however kal in terminal works every time. Out of interest, as I’m not a software engineer, where does the information go to in the programme, after clicking on the pop-up buttons which then opens the terminal and saves the initial ppm?

If you are running the latest version of openplotter-sdr-vhf app the GUI runs exactly the same than running kal in a terminal including gain.
Calibration works fine now, with 2.1.1 beta. My error previously was not putting an initial figure in the settings, ppm box. 2.1.1 beta gives you a nudge If you miss that. Numerical entries are needed in ppm and gain. All clear now thanks.
Hi there!

I'm still struggling to find any channels with kal using:
kal -d 0 -s GSM900 -e 23 -g 49.6 -Dv

After kal fails to find any channels the Debug mode (-D) starts to list many messages of the form:
debug: error limit: 0.9     ...  where the values range from about 0.8 to 1.2

Rpi 3B+ with RTL SDR v3  Kalibrate v0.4.1-rtl
(is that the right version?)

Grateful for any pointers on this!
Pages: 1 2