OpenMarine

Full Version: [SOLVED] Raspbian bug kills Moitessier HAT systems after upgrading to kernel 4.19.118
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Latest Raspbian kernel upgrade (4.19.118) has changed the I2C management and there is a bug that will prevent your computer from booting.

According to Raspberry developers this will be fixed on next kernel versions but they have not given a date.

If you have not installed the Moitessier HAT app in your OpenPlotter system ignore this and update the kernel normally.

These are our provisional solutions: https://www.rooco.eu/2018/06/13/firmware...ssier-hat/
There is another issue with 118 kernel: all GPS related messages are filtered out by the kernel module, although everything is enabled in the configuration. There is a patch available for this. Or is it only me experiencing this?
I do not think your problem is related to the kernel, please open a new post and we will see.
(2020-06-22, 04:26 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Temporary fix: https://www.rooco.eu/2018/06/13/firmware...ssier-hat/

For clarification. If I follow step 4 in scenerio 2, I can then run an update of Raspberry Pi OS?

Specifically, after running "4. Install the bug fix: sudo moitessier/scripts/bug_fix_kernel_4.19.118 moitessier/dtbo/i2c-gpio_bug_fix_4.19.118.dtbo". I can then "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt full-upgrade"?

Before I do anything, I want to check. Also, what are the ramifications of this bug fix? Does anything else brake when this is done?
(2020-06-23, 12:22 PM)jamieFL Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-06-22, 04:26 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Temporary fix: https://www.rooco.eu/2018/06/13/firmware...ssier-hat/

For clarification. If I follow step 4 in scenerio 2, I can then run an update of Raspberry Pi OS?

Specifically, after running "4. Install the bug fix: sudo moitessier/scripts/bug_fix_kernel_4.19.118 moitessier/dtbo/i2c-gpio_bug_fix_4.19.118.dtbo".  I can then "sudo apt update" and  "sudo apt full-upgrade"?

yes you can

(2020-06-23, 12:22 PM)jamieFL Wrote: [ -> ]Before I do anything, I want to check.  Also, what are the ramifications of this bug fix?  Does anything else brake when this is done?

apparently no
I followed option 2 and my Pi would no longer boot.  I edited config.txt as in option 1 and got it to boot, then updated again.  With the sudo apt full-upgrade I get this error:

Quote:******************************************************************************************
Determining I2C GPIO device
******************************************************************************************

******************************************************************************************
I2C GPIO device:

ERROR occured!!

No valid I2C GPIO device found

ERROR occured!!

You might try to install the package again.

dpkg: error processing package moitessier (--configure):
installed moitessier package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

...and it still will not boot.
I don't know what is going on, but I formatted my SD, put a fresh image of OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT (no update at end of install), installed MCS, Updated all apps, rebooted. All good. I followed option 2 and got the same results as above. Same errors and my Pi will NOT boot.
(2020-06-28, 10:24 PM)jamieFL Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what is going on, but I formatted my SD, put a fresh image of OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT (no update at end of install), installed MCS, Updated all apps, rebooted.  All good.  I followed option 2 and got the same results as above.  Same errors and my Pi will NOT boot.

Unfortunately I have to confirm that! I don't get it going according to the description
(2020-06-29, 06:36 PM)nebosa Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately I have to confirm that! I don't get it going according to the description

Thank you. At least I know that I probably didn't to anything wrong.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6