OpenMarine

Full Version: Openplotter 2 (latest) NMEA out Woes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi I  am hoping that someone can assist me to get OpenCPN output to a usb to NMEA adaptor.

I have configured 3 connections to start with.

(Digital Yacht AIT2000 USB) AISGPS -> NMEA0183 Serial Device 38400 this input brings AIVDO AIVDM RMC GGA GLL WMV sentences. OpenCPN is configured to accept TCP input on 10110 and only the sentences that are output by the Digial Yacht AIT2000. This works perfectly and OpenCPN gets enough data to plot AIS and GPS position and wind. Perfect and stable.

OPENCPNOUT configured as a NMEA UDP 10111 device this receives the OpenCPN output that is configured in the OpenCPN dialogue UDP 10111 to take AP output information and the wind data and output it. This works perfectly when navigating and sends out ECRMB ECRMC EPAPB XTE GPGLL GPGGA WIWMV we can see them going out of OpenCPN and also we can see them in the data browser in Signal K received perfectly.

(DIGITAL YACHT USB to NMEA INTERFACE) APREPEAT  - NMEA0183 Serial Device 4800 . We have tried outputting OPENCPNOUT to this connection and we get nothing. We have tried the APP (nmea0183 to nmea0183) as per the documentation and set input as OPENCPNOUT and output as APREPEAT. We get no data on the APREPEAT connection.

We are obviously misunderstanding something because the data is there we can explore it using the data browser and all sentences are received and decoded properly.

What are we missing. If we bypass Signal K and configure 2 serial connections 1 in AISGPS and 1 out APREPEAT we can talk to the serial port devices and receive and send. When we use Signal K server in the middle we can't seem to find a way to drive OPENCPNOUT data to the APREPEAT serial port connection to dive the GPS repeater and the autopilot.

We put the 2 UDP OpenCPN connections on different ports to seperate the data in from out.

How do we direct the output from the Signal K OPENCPNOUT input connection to the Signal K APREPEAT serial output connection?

Hoping someone can help it would be great to have detailed instructions as we find this non-intuitive.

Cheers
Spart
Hi
I had similar problems and was helped by this: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...exing.html
Hope it helps you to!
Pär W
(2020-07-04, 10:09 PM)Celestine Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
I had similar problems and was helped by this: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...exing.html
Hope it helps you to!
Pär W

Yes we read the docs as I said but cannot get this to work. But thank you for responding.

Maybe you can post a picture of the configuration of the output serial device and the nmea to nmea app settings.

Cheers
Spart
Hi
You describe a setup that should work I think. I use port 10110 for both in and out (tcp and udp) but as you see the sentences in SK that should be fine. 
I think I had to enable plug-in SignalK to nmea0183 and activate the sentences I need to make it work but that shouldn’t be necessary. 
I can't upload any images right now I'm afraid. I have a very bad internet connection in this little windy harbour...
If you use "APREPEAT" as the id for your output, remember to insert that in output event fields in both 0183-to-0183 plug-in and the SK connection.
Hope this helps!
Pär W
The logical configuration simply does not work I cannot get any output on the APREPEAT connection at all.

This is my configuration it is very simply just 3 connections and the nmea0183 to nmea0183 app. As you can see the correct data is going in on the AISGPS connection and coming out of openCPN on the OPENCPNOUT connection but teh APREPEAT conncetion has no data and therefore is not feeding the Autopilot and cockpit repeater. 

I really need assistance with this as I cannot progress until I can reliably drive the Autopilot and cockpit repeater.

And here is the nmea0183 to nmea0183 app config that is supposed to send the NMEA data from OPENCPNOUT to the APREPEAT serial connection and on to the cockpit repeater and autopilot.
No help but I never see data on my ap output, neither in SK dashboard or in data browser even though I get data on the actual port. This is one area where I think OP2 needs improvements. The diag features in OP1.x where much better in my opinion.
What if you hook up a pc to your output and look at the port with Putty or some other terminal program?
Cheers
Pär W

Have you tried enabling SK-to- nmea0183 plug-in and activated the sentences you need?
P
(2020-07-05, 08:09 PM)Celestine Wrote: [ -> ]No help but I never see data on my ap output, neither in SK dashboard or in data browser even though I get data on the actual port. This is one area where I think OP2 needs improvements. The diag features in OP1.x where much better in my opinion.
What if you hook up a pc to your output and look at the port with Putty or some other terminal program?
Cheers
Pär W

Have you tried enabling SK-to- nmea0183 plug-in and activated the sentences you need?
P

There is no data on the serial port it is connected to a physical cockpit repeater and the physical AP. No output at all. Also you cannot connect 2 devices to the serial port as Signal K server has hold of it so I cannot conncet to teh port from gtkterm and look at what is there.

The only thought I had was that the data from OPENCPNOUT is UDP network data and I want it to go to a 4800 Baud serial connection.

I am confused by the signal K to NMEA app I only have NMEA on all connections they are not signal K connections.

Cheers
Spart
I think SK server is using SK format internally so you may have to convert to NMEA but I don’t know for sure. But if my memory serves me correctly that's what I had to do to make it work.
Maybe some of the real experts here can jump in? 
Cheers
Pär W
what you are trying to do is designed to have a single device and get and send data from it. But you have 2 devices and you do not need to use SK, you have just to set a serial output connection in OpenCPN.

- Remove all you have done in SK and plugins.
- Use the openplotter-serial app to set alias for both devices.
- Create the SK connection for your AIS/GPS from the same openplotter-serial app. Do not create connection for your second device.
- Go to opencpn and be sure you have enabled the network connection TCP localhost 10110. You do not need more network connections.
- Create a serial output in opencpn using the alias of your second device.
(2020-07-05, 09:09 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]what you are trying to do is designed to have a single device and get and send data from it. But you have 2 devices and you do not need to use SK, you have just to set a serial output connection in OpenCPN.

- Remove all you have done in SK and plugins.
- Use the openplotter-serial app to set alias for both devices.
- Create the SK connection for your AIS/GPS from the same openplotter-serial app. Do not create connection for your second device.
- Go to opencpn and be sure you have enabled the network connection TCP localhost 10110. You do not need more network connections.
- Create a serial output in opencpn using the alias of your second device.

many thanks for the reply. Yes we can bypass Signal K altogether and simply use serial connections in and out of OpenCPN and that of course works but we wanted to use the dashboards in Signal K and start to add more sensors and other data sources and use Signal K in the centre.

Why can we not send the OPENCPNOUT data stream to the APREPEAT serial connection in Signal K? Reading the documentation it almost exactly fits the use case depicted. The SK OPENCPNOUT connection definitely gets all the data we want. The OPENCPNOUT datastream is all NMEA0183. 

Cheers
Spart
Pages: 1 2 3