OpenMarine

Full Version: Urgent help needed connecting serial deviced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just changed my setup from a Raspberry Pi 3 with an old OpenPlotter version to a Raspberry Pi 4 with OpenPlotter 2 but I can't get my AIS/GPS-data to OpenCPN.
OpenPlotter recognizes the serial NMEA 1083 device and I get data in signalK but nothing on the Network connection in OpenCPN. If I disable the network connection and set up a serial connection in OpenCPN I get NMEA data.

Do anyone have any ideas about what is wrong?

[attachment=1017]
[attachment=1018]
[attachment=1019]
[attachment=1020]

All I needed to do was configure a SK connection for the serial ports in SK Server with the correct baud rate. In your case looks like you have a GPS and a seperate AIS feed. So you need 2 connections in SK server both NMEA Serial baud rate 4800 for GPS and (38400 ?) for the AIS data . Both sets of data are sent to the internal 10110 port. Your OpenCPN connection looks ok.

You should see the data in OpenCPN. You can look at the config of my input connections in this post https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2711 my inputs work perfectly I have configured nothing in the serial app. Simply just connections in SK server. My issue is I cannot get SK to send data out to my serial port.
Hope this helps you.

Cheers
Spart
Actually I only have one incoming connection from my AIS with both GPS and AIS data sent with 4800 baud. I also have an outgoing connection to my autopilot but since I have not managed to get data into OpenCPN I have not tried to configure that connection yet.
It's all they same that worked in my old Pi 3 and since I CSN see data in SK I don't understand why it's not sent to OpenCPN?
You can check that the data is available at port 10110 tcp connection from the command line:

telnet localhost 10110

If that shows the data the error is in OpenCPN configuration.

When your SK server starts do you see any errors in syslog? The only reason I can think of that would prevent 0183 data appearing on port 10110 that some other application has that port already open.
To know if you have network conflicts go to openplotter network app and click on "addresses and ports".
Are you sure you have 4800 baud for GPS+AIS?
Still don't know why it didn't work. I disconnected everything, removed all serial and signalk connections, rebooted, connected and set it all up again in and then I got AIS and GPS-data in OpenCPN!

Now it's just NMEA-out to the autopilot that doesn't work. It's all set up as in the manual (NMEA multiplexing) but no data transmitted. I think something is wrong in OpenCPN, NMEA-logging says inbound data is filtered and outbound data is removed.

Data from AIS/GPS is 4800 baud as it is also sent to the VHF and it does not support higher speed. Another thing to fix when everything else is up and running...