OpenMarine

Full Version: Black OpenCPN window after 5.2 update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have latest version of Openplotter running on RPI4 and updated my OpenCPN from 5.0 -> 5.2 today. As a result, 
- OP starts normally, checking the system
- OpenCPN window appears but it is black, despite of 5 dots on the right. it says OpenCPN 5.2.0 at the top and has SOG and COG at the bottom
- nothing else appears on the window. before the update I had Dashboard in use
- when restarting, OpenCPN offers to start if safe more, but the result is the same
- when I try to kiill the OpenCPN window, I need to hit the 'X' in the top right corner twice to kill the window

I did apt update and upgrade. According to Settings (2.3.0) all OP apps are of the latest version.

All ideas warmly welcome!

Br,
Jukka
I did uninstall and reinstall opencpn. Still the same black screen. When I start open cpn from command line, I get:

(opencpn:3165): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 18:59:52.649: IA__gtk_window_resize: assertion 'height > 0' failed

Any ideas?  Before updating OpenCPN 5.0 was working just fine.

Jukka
Have you tried removing the folder /home/pi/.opencpn or you can just rename it and open opencpn again to test
(2020-07-18, 05:05 PM)steel_cruiser Wrote: [ -> ]I did uninstall and reinstall opencpn. Still the same black screen. When I start open cpn from command line, I get:

(opencpn:3165): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 18:59:52.649: IA__gtk_window_resize: assertion 'height > 0' failed

Any ideas?  Before updating OpenCPN 5.0 was working just fine.

Jukka

I had OpenCPN 5.0 installed and renamed .opencpn folder and started OpenCPN -> 'clean' .opencpn-folder.
Then I upgraded 5.0 -> 5.2 and started OpenCPN resulting the same error

(opencpn:5910): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:07:10.246: IA__gtk_window_resize: assertion 'height > 0' failed

Then I renamed the .opencpn folder again and started OpenCPN 5.2 .... resulting the same error again....

Anyone else having the same error?

Since 5.2 did not start I reverted back to OpenCPN 5.0. it starts normally, but when started from command line it yields an error which may be related to the error I copy pasted in my previous post

(opencpn:3020): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:59:00.328: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -5 and height 26

Any thoughts?
that gtk-warnings are expected and not related to your issue.
no more errors?
are you sure you have a raspberry 4?
is opengl enabled in your system?
Thanks Sailoog for your reply!

I did sudo apt-get update and upgrade. Then I tried installing 5.2 again - the same results. I went back to Opencpn 5.0.
I did check the 'Use OpenGL' checkbox in OpenCPN. Should I enable it some other way?

Now (perhaps due to enabling OpenGL?) I do have more more and different errors (previously only the one I reported), see below.

Yes, I have raspi4.

Jukka

PS. I noticed that when I open the  'Screen layout editor editor' it behaves similarly than Opencpn 5.2: a window opens, but is nonresponsive and cannot be killed.... 
---------------------
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ opencpn
Expression 'alsa_snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near( pcm, hwParams, &alsaPeriodFrames, &dir )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'alsa_snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near( pcm, hwParams, &alsaPeriodFrames, &dir )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.front
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround21
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround21
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround40
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround41
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround50
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround51
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround71
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.iec958
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.bluealsa.device'
ALSA lib conf.c:4568:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5036:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM bluealsa
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.bluealsa.device'
ALSA lib conf.c:4568:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5036:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM bluealsa
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
21:27:33: Device: 0: dmix

Since the original error did not appear anymore, I tried to install OpenCPN 5.2 again. 

The results (see the link below) instead of a black screen, I now have a blue screen. I can see the boat icon, but the program stays nonresponsive and hard to kill....

The same error:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ opencpn

(opencpn:4284): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 22:09:15.775: IA__gtk_window_resize: assertion 'height > 0' failed
^C
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ 

Jukka

screen pic