OpenMarine

Full Version: Latest "Rustic" Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I guess these things are never really finished, but this one is ready to install in the boat. There was an earlier version that i managed to smoke by stupidly not checking my input voltage polarity. My more spiritual friends would tell me that was just the universe telling me I wasn't ready yet, because the rebuild is much better. 

What is here:
- Rustic box from Bangood. Not expensive, and a lot less industrial looking. Yes, I know it's not waterproof! I 3D printed a panel for the back to provide connections for power and HDMI.
- RPI4 - 4GB
- Suptronics X857 MSATA SSD adapter board with 250G SSD
- Suptronics X710 wide voltage power supply board. (these things are great - input voltage range is well beyond what might come from the boat, and they provide soft shutdown)
- 2-Channel Isolated RS485 Expansion HAT for RPI (for NMEA 0183 in/out)
- SIM800C GSM hat. it is at least going to send me SMS messages while I'm away from the boat - we'll see what else I can do with it.
On the other side:
- StarTech.com 7 port industrial USB3 hub. This also has ESD protection, and allows a very wide supply voltage.
- Connected to the USB hub is a generic WiFi dongle for AP.

I don't need AIS in the box, as I have a Quark-Elec box that decodes SeaTalk, AIS and receives GPS as well. That will come in via USB. On the bench I have an RTL-SDR dongle and a little USB GPS for testing.

Two of the USB connections and the HDMI go to a 17 inch touch screen from a Chinese company called "Porpose". it was fairly inexpensive, and certainly wouldn't be sunlight readable, but it's for below decks anyway. We'll see how long it lasts - it's not the highest quality!

Here are some photos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AdhAApD5gMme6gTQ6
That treasure chest looks awesome!
Thanks amigo.
the content but also Smile  Thank you for showing me.