OpenMarine

Full Version: Boot from ssd-usb on rpi 3b
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
I can’t really make this work...
Have mounted an ssd-sata disc in an usb enclosure. Loaded OP2 on a sdcard and run all updates, both for OP and for the RPI. Then I put the sd card in a card reader and booted the pi on another chip. The op card was copied to the ssd using dd. Finally I set the pi to boot from usb using the method in the link above. So far all is ok.
When I remove the sd card and try to boot from the usb connected ssd disk the system starts up, shows the “rainbow screen”, then the “restore screen” and then...nothing.
I have also set the system to wait for the ssd to become ready.
The only thing I can think of is that under voltage is the cause. This test is made at home with my spare pi, fed by an iPad power supply, I think 2,5v. Aboard I have separate psu‘s for the pi and the usb hub.
Anyone that have other suggestions?
Cheers
P
Hi
Or is it maybe not enough to just copy files and folders from the sd card to the safe disk?
Maybe one has to make the disk bootable? If so, how do you do that?
Cheers
Pär W
(2020-09-27, 07:45 PM)Celestine Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
Or is it maybe not enough to just copy files and folders from the sd card to the safe disk?
Maybe one has to make the disk bootable? If so, how do you do that?
Cheers
Pär W

Im not sure what Dd is? Why not just use the card copier app in accessories? That is how I did it.  It copies the image from the sd card to the ssd Drive.  Not just the files
Actually I tried that too but the result was the same.
Cheers
Pär W
(2020-09-27, 09:24 PM)Celestine Wrote: [ -> ]Actually I tried that too but the result was the same.
Cheers
Pär W

you first followed these instructions? and is the Rpi you have listed in these insturctions?

There is nothing beyond these two elements... except maybe a compatible usb ssd? maybe your usb ssd is not compatible?
I finally managed to boot from ssd. But I had to press SHIFT during the startup process to restore OP.
So what I have now is an empty but updated system that boots from ssd without any sd card inserted.
Not what I expected but at least I know the ssd disk itself is working.
Cheers
Pär W
Pages: 1 2