OpenMarine

Full Version: RPI/OpenPlotter running on SDD HD without SD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the latest RaspiOS Eeprom update it is possible to boot the RPI 4 direct from an SSD HD. Without an SD card in the system.

This gives a very fast working system. I'am using a very small PCIe NVMe 120 GB drive board in an alu housing with an usb3 connection.

Is is possible to copy the SD image to the SSD HD.

Bram
Indeed a significant performance boost, and -I expect- improved reliability over using the SD card. I've an RPi 4 booting happily from SSD using this setup

- USB 3.1 (Type-A) to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA : https://www.newegg.com/sabrent-ec-ss31/p...6812156064
- SSD Patriot Burst 2.5" 240GB SATA III : https://www.newegg.com/patriot-burst-240...20-225-082

Hans
Hi everyone, just follow this post on this thread: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....1#pid15791- or do you have another solution?
(2020-09-07, 09:50 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: [ -> ]With the latest RaspiOS Eeprom update it is possible to boot the RPI 4 direct from an SSD HD. Without an SD card in the system.

This gives a very fast working system. I'am using a very small PCIe NVMe 120 GB drive board in an alu housing with an usb3 connection.

Bram

Waoooww impressive !!!
So far I was reluctant for RP1 4, but I made the step.
Which boot-loader version do you use ? The latest I found (and use) is dated September 03.
Regarding the boot-loader update, I was helped by this article in Framboise 314 the french speaking Raspberry blog .
(2020-09-08, 01:36 PM)Didier B Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-09-07, 09:50 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: [ -> ]With the latest RaspiOS Eeprom update it is possible to boot the RPI 4 direct from an SSD HD. Without an SD card in the system.

Bram

Waoooww impressive !!!
Which boot-loader version do you use ? The latest I found (and use) is dated September 03.
Regarding the boot-loader update, I was helped by this article in Framboise 314 the french speaking Raspberry blog .
Update to the latest eeprom version

Is perhaps allready available with the latest updates.

It is probably still a beta version

You must change “critical”  to “stable”:
sudo nano /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update

sudo reboot

With this commands you can look if it works:

vcgencmd bootloader_version
vcgencmd bootloader_config

connect the SSD and then:

sudo mkdir /mnt/ssd
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/ssd

then after you have made a copy from your SD image to SSD drive with the Piclone option:

sudo cp /boot/*.elf /mnt/ssd
sudo cp /boot/*.dat /mnt/ssd
sudo shutdown now

Now your SSD starts without a SD card in the system.

Bram
(2020-09-08, 02:33 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-09-08, 01:36 PM)Didier B Wrote: [ -> ]

Bram

Waoooww impressive !!!
Update to the latest eeprom version

Is perhaps allready available with the latest updates.

It is probably still a beta version

You must change  “critical”  to “stable”:

sudo reboot

With this commands you can look if it works:

vcgencmd bootloader_version

connect the SSD and then:

sudo mkdir /mnt/ssd
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/ssd

then after you have made a copy from your SD image to SSD drive with the Piclone option:

sudo cp /boot/*.elf /mnt/ssd
sudo cp /boot/*.dat /mnt/ssd
sudo shutdown now

Now your SSD starts without a SD card in the system.

Bram

Hi Bram,
as explained I followed steps in the blog Framboise 314.
After update and full-upgrade, rpi-eeprom was installed.

I changed rpi-eeprom-update from "critical" to "stable";

Then I picked the last available stable release and updated rpi--eeprom :

sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable/pieeprom-2020-09-03.bin
   sudo reboot

Then I checked the bootloader config :
   BOOT_ORDER=0xf41 (as expected) !

I removed the SD card, re-started (from the USB SSD), et voilà ! (it was like removing the small side wheels from a ... Maserati !!!)

EDIT : forgotten 1st step : I prepared the SSD using the SD card copier Menu/Accessories/SD card copier and found the file system was already expanded !
I read the the updates for this are now incorporated in the Rpi stable repositories, when will they be available through the normal OP2 Settings update route?
The update can also be done direct from the servers:

sudo apt update (updates the file list)
sudo apt upgrade (does the updates changes from the latest list)

If you like you can also update tot the latest beta kernel (not recommanded ?) with sudo rpi-update.

Bram
Yes I'm aware of that thanks. Just concerned i might break something in OP2 going down that route.
Did the update & now booting from an SSD. All seems OK but the Ocpn chart re-draw doesn't seem much faster.

SD was  a 64GB SanDisk Extreme, SSD is a SanDisk 240GB Plus & using the recommended Eluteng adapter to the Rpi4 4GB.

How's it working for anyone else?
Pages: 1 2