OpenMarine

Full Version: Use gpsd-client : xgps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody !
I am testing the GPSD connexion, (this daemon uses Signal K to connect to OpenCPN.)
The main advantages I found in this approach are :
  • The GPS status in the dashboard together with the NMEA debug windows which are not available in case of a direct Signal K connection...
  • The use of gpsd-clients (cgps, gpsmon) to evaluate the quality of my receivers.
I would like to use also xgps, and its skyview feature, but I can't as there is this error : 
          "TypeError: Couldn't find foreign struct converter for 'cairo.Context'." which seems linked to an absent Python3 dependency ... AS I have no skill in the matter, I would appreciate any help, guidance or solution !
Hallo Didier

For my usb-GPS i do only an connection to gpsd in "op-serial":
the signal-k connection from gpsd will be automatically created by op-serial.

This also works with an Moitessier-Hat, which additional gives its GPS & AIS-NMEA informations via gpsd to signal-k.

for you xgps problem, have an look for the fonts, aka install free-fonts etc.

good luck - holger
(2020-11-05, 08:19 PM)Didier B Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everybody !
I am testing the GPSD connexion, (this daemon uses Signal K to connect to OpenCPN.)
The main advantages I found in this approach are :
  • The GPS status in the dashboard together with the NMEA debug windows which are not available in case of a direct Signal K connection...
  • The use of gpsd-clients (cgps, gpsmon) to evaluate the quality of my receivers.
I would like to use also xgps, and its skyview feature, but I can't as there is this error : 
          "TypeError: Couldn't find foreign struct converter for 'cairo.Context'." which seems linked to an absent Python3 dependency ... AS I have no skill in the matter, I would appreciate any help, guidance or solution !

YYYYYYYYEEEEESS !!!!!!!

Help yourself, and the Sky will help you !

Eventually, I could identify the python missing dependency : python-gi-cairo,
(this seems to be one of many Raspberry Pi OS distribution's holes).
I just passed the command :
  • sudo apt install python-gi-cairo
then
  • xgps
and xgps, one gpsd-client, does its job : it display a magnificent sky view, together with the list of GNSS satellites, their position ans signal quality, the Time and FIX status !

a great tool when you are trouble hunting GPS signal receiving !