OpenMarine

Full Version: Acxico NEO-8M GPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone used this GPS?  Can you just use the USB port to the RaspPi or do you need the pins?
Thinking of getting this.  Amazon.com: Acxico 1Pcs NEO-8M GPS Satellite Positioning Module Development Board for Arduino STM32 C51 Replace NEO-7M: GPS & Navigation
Looks like it has both USB interface and TTL RX/TX on pins. It might be worth a question on Amazon - sometimes they are helpful! ;-) I did notice in one of the reviews of the 7M version of this that a reviewer said that the USB port powered but didn't communicate.
(2021-01-15, 02:29 PM)abarrow Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like it has both USB interface and TTL RX/TX on pins. It might be worth a question on Amazon - sometimes they are helpful! ;-)

Good thought, Just posted there as well Smile
It appears that two people reviewed, one with an Arduino application and another with an RPI, both giving high marks.

Using TTL on an RPI isn't horrible, if that is a concern.
If I use the pins, does anyone have a pin to board mapping I could use? I am already using 1,3,5,9 for the GY-91 10 DOF.
I did try the USB, seems to power but I am not getting a signal to the board.
Simpler option might be the GlobalSat BU-353-S4 "hockey puck".  A few dollars more, but a simple install...and I got 8-11 satellites INSIDE the cabin.  Location appears accurate within about 1 meter. Setup in OpenPlotter in 5 minutes....just two steps.

About $30 on Amazon....
Or even these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VK-172-GMOUSE...4373226002
I got 3 from china for 15UKP in about 3 weeks. Locks on instantly and works next to a window in a steel boat. Uses 15mA so stays on all the time.