OpenMarine

Full Version: Introducing the new MacArthur HAT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
We are delighted to present you the new project we have been working on these months: The MacArthur HAT

[attachment=1331]

We have been analyzing the most requested features from OpenPlotter users and we have been able to gather all of them in the small space of a HAT for Raspberry Pi.

Specifications
  • Compatible with all Raspberry Pi models
  • Compatible with Moitessier HAT
  • Stackable (pin header not rendered in picture yet)
  • Fully OpenPlotter supported
  • All supported sensors generate Signal K data
  • Fully open-source

Features (top to bottom and right to left )

[attachment=1330]
  • 1 NMEA 2000 in/out. It is not isolated so be sure you power your NMEA 2000 network and your Raspberry from the same battery.
  • 1 Seatalk 1 in. To connect your old electronic.
  • 6 GPIO for digital sensors. Overcurrent and overvoltage protection. You can connect any digital sensor: motion, floating, switches, doors, pulses, leds, relays... There are also +7 extra GPIOS for advanced use.

[attachment=1329]
  • 2 NMEA 0183 in. It is not isolated so be sure you power your NMEA 0183 device and your Raspberry from the same battery.
  • 2 NMEA 0183 out. It is not isolated so be sure you power your NMEA 0183 device and your Raspberry from the same battery.
  • 1 I2C 5V. You can connect any I2C sensor powered from 5V. Multiple sensors supported in parallel. This make all I2C Arduino sensors compatible with Raspberry.
  • 1 UART. Easy access for serial devices like the pypilot controller.
  • 1 1W. Connect as much temperature sensors as you need (engines, fridge..). Multiple sensors supported in parallel, pull-up resistor is already included.
  • 1 I2C 3.3V. You can connect any I2C sensor powered from 3.3V. Multiple sensors supported in parallel.
[attachment=1328]
  • 1 Wind sensor. Compatible with the Davis instruments anemometer. Speed and wind direction (connector not rendered in picture yet).
  • 5 Analog inputs. Overvoltage protected. Connect any analog sensor 0-5V.
  • 1 Power feed and sensor. Connect any power module commonly used in drones. These modules are a secure and stable power source for your Raspberry (5.2V, 3A) and provide current and voltage data of your battery bank (up to 60V and up to 120A). There is a jumper which makes powering optional or to connect a switch to cut power to your Raspberry (connector not rendered in picture yet).
Software
  • OpenPlotter GPIO app manages these features: Seatalk 1, digital sensors, +7 extra digital sensors, 1W sensors, wind speed.
  • OpenPlotter CAN app manages these features: NMEA 2000.
  • OpenPlotter Serial app manages these features: NMEA 1083, UART.
  • OpenPlotter I2C app manages these features: I2C 5V sensors, I2C 3.3V , current measurement, voltage measurement, analog sensors, wind direction.
How much?

No idea yet but as cheap as possible as usual.

When?

The design stage is done and we are waiting for the first prototypes to be tortured. We will inform here when we have a release date.

Feel free to post here any comment and suggestion

Heart
Cool! Can't wait Big Grin
(2021-02-18, 08:28 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]

Looks so nice.  The analog inputs numbered AIN7, AIN6, AIN5, AIN3, AIN4 (ie, out of order) may make it easy to make wiring mistakes.
Very cool, looking forward to trying it out.. Any thoughts on adding a small DC-DC 10V-16V -> 5V on-board? Then you could power directly from the NEMA2000 power wire directly!
(2021-02-19, 02:09 AM)CapnKernel Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-18, 08:28 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]

Looks so nice.  The analog inputs numbered AIN7, AIN6, AIN5, AIN3, AIN4 (ie, out of order) may make it easy to make wiring mistakes.

Good point. We will try to fix that. Thanks!
(2021-02-19, 05:04 PM)BTsail Wrote: [ -> ]Very cool, looking forward to trying it out..  Any thoughts on adding a small DC-DC 10V-16V -> 5V on-board?   Then you could power directly from the NEMA2000 power wire directly!

We considered that but finally we choose the external converter because:

- There is no enough space in the board
- We will have less electrical interference. We will have IMUs around so it is better to have the DC-DC conversion far away.
- Drone power modules have a very clean output.
- This way we will have consumption measurement of the whole electrical circuit. This is not possible taking power from the NMEA 2000 network
- Lot of people use UPS HATs, so we need the powering feature to be optional.
- Using this way you still can take the power from the NMEA 2000 wire.
(2021-02-19, 06:22 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-19, 05:04 PM)BTsail Wrote: [ -> ]Very cool, looking forward to trying it out..  Any thoughts on adding a small DC-DC 10V-16V -> 5V on-board?   Then you could power directly from the NEMA2000 power wire directly!

We considered that but finally we choose the external converter because:

- There is no enough space in the board
- We will have less electrical interference. We will have IMUs around so it is better to have the DC-DC conversion far away.
- Drone power modules have a very clean output.
- This way we will have consumption measurement of the whole electrical circuit. This is not possible taking power from the NMEA 2000 network
- Lot of people use UPS HATs, so we need the powering feature to be optional.
- Using this way you still can take the power from the NMEA 2000 wire.

Got it, makes sense!
NMEA 2000 in/out. It is not isolated so be sure you power your NMEA 2000 network and your Raspberry from the same source.
unquote

any chance to reconsider and enable isolation or make available optional?
Again the available space and the price makes difficult isolation.
Obviously isolation is always better but we do not think it is a critical point if all devices share the same power source.
If I were worried about isolation I would buy an isolated USB converter like the Canable and I could use it in my Raspberry and in my laptop safely (different power source).
Is the GPIO app still going to be finished & supported so we can run sensors without the hat??

Is the Iot app still a work in progress?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6