OpenMarine

Full Version: Can the Garmin UHD93sv work with pypilot?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have built my pypilot to be on my fishing boat.   I have not got it hooked up yet, I have a windshield motor so far, that seems to work on a desk, that I would hook into the steering wheel, or I will use a linear actuator on a kicker motor, if that don't work.  I had planned on tying the kicker to the main drive, and using the wheel steering for both, or either.  I will be putting a fishfinder on it also, but now see these units that say they connect with compatable autopilots, etc.  that have NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 networks.  Has anybody played with this connectivity?  If I can buy 1 9" unit, that can control the pypilot, then that would be nice.  I may just go ahead and buy one, and try.  Just fishing for info again, now!
I don't know of any fishfinders that can control pypilot. At best they could maybe output route following, but actual configuring and control of pypilot is not supported.
(2021-03-05, 10:23 PM)Bwk9087 Wrote: [ -> ]I have built my pypilot to be on my fishing boat.   I have not got it hooked up yet, I have a windshield motor so far, that seems to work on a desk, that I would hook into the steering wheel, or I will use a linear actuator on a kicker motor, if that don't work.  I had planned on tying the kicker to the main drive, and using the wheel steering for both, or either.  I will be putting a fishfinder on it also, but now see these units that say they connect with compatable autopilots, etc.  that have NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 networks.  Has anybody played with this connectivity?  If I can buy 1 9" unit, that can control the pypilot, then that would be nice.  I may just go ahead and buy one, and try.  Just fishing for info again, now!

I am using pypilot for the exact same purpose. I’ve tried just steering with the main and I’ve tried steering with the kicker, all the information points to the one thing, both motors turning together is the best solution. I have installed a 12v hydraulic motor inline between the helm and the main motor. Pypilot steers the main engine this way just fine, this season I will be adding a linear actuator to the kicker motor, and a linear potentiometer on the main engine. So when the main engine moves the kicker will move to the same position. I believe this will provide the best results.
(2021-03-05, 10:23 PM)Bwk9087 Wrote: [ -> ]I will be putting a fishfinder on it also, but now see these units that say they connect with compatable autopilots, etc.  that have NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 networks.

Pypilot does accept NMEA0183 'APB' sentences, that are used for following a gps track. If that sentence is mentioned in the manual of your fishfinder, you are in business.
(2021-03-06, 08:19 PM)rastam4n Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-05, 10:23 PM)Bwk9087 Wrote: [ -> ]I have built my pypilot to be on my fishing boat.   I have not got it hooked up yet, I have a windshield motor so far, that seems to work on a desk, that I would hook into the steering wheel, or I will use a linear actuator on a kicker motor, if that don't work.  I had planned on tying the kicker to the main drive, and using the wheel steering for both, or either.  I will be putting a fishfinder on it also, but now see these units that say they connect with compatable autopilots, etc.  that have NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 networks.  Has anybody played with this connectivity?  If I can buy 1 9" unit, that can control the pypilot, then that would be nice.  I may just go ahead and buy one, and try.  Just fishing for info again, now!

I am using pypilot for the exact same purpose. I’ve tried just steering with the main and I’ve tried steering with the kicker, all the information points to the one thing, both motors turning together is the best solution. I have installed a 12v hydraulic motor inline between the helm and the main motor. Pypilot steers the main engine this way just fine, this season I will be adding a linear actuator to the kicker motor, and a linear potentiometer on the main engine. So when the main engine moves the kicker will move to the same position. I believe this will provide the best results.

This sounds awesome, do you have a thread, or pics of your hyd setup?  I might want to copy it!  I was thinking of the linear actuator, also, as I see some talk on here, but have not come up with one yet.  I see most people are saying it needs to move 2"/sec min.  Can your 12v hydraulic motor, turn the steering if main engine is off?  thinking that a connecting rod could be added to kicker, if so.  thanks for the info.

(2021-03-07, 12:59 AM)ironman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-05, 10:23 PM)Bwk9087 Wrote: [ -> ]I will be putting a fishfinder on it also, but now see these units that say they connect with compatable autopilots, etc.  that have NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 networks.

Pypilot does accept NMEA0183 'APB' sentences, that are used for following a gps track. If that sentence is mentioned in the manual of your fishfinder, you are in business.

there is a mention of nmea 0183 transmit in the manual.  So it might be possible.

Sentence
Description
GPAPB   APB: Heading or track controller (autopilot) sentence "B"
That should do it. In theory. Never knew fish finders could send out tracks, but it seems to make sense. What's the brand type and pdf link?
Would be great to know if it works. You will still have to engage and configure pypilot through a browser or something else, but this may work for following routes.
(2021-03-08, 04:07 PM)ironman Wrote: [ -> ]That should do it. In theory. Never knew fish finders could send out tracks, but it seems to make sense. What's the brand type and pdf link?

it is a Garmin echomap UHD 93sv.

here is the pdf link
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/...epage.html
That's a feature-rich piece of kit! I thought a fishfinder was only sonar, but it turns out to be a chart plotter with sonar capabilities. I cannot find quickly whether the NMEA messages could be transmitted through the wi-fi, but at least you can interface is with the wire and a usb-rs422 adaptor to your openplotter.