OpenMarine

Full Version: TinyPilot Hardware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know that TinyPilot hardware is a Raspberry Pi zero W and an Arduino Nano. However I have a 1st Generation Raspberry Pi Model B and an Arduino Uno in my box of bits. Can I save some money and try the system out with these parts or am I going to run into lots of problems?
it should work but if you run into problems you know what to do Smile
Hi,

it´s possible to use the tinypilot image with a raspberry pi b I think. I use a pi 2b sometimes for tests. This works but without the wifi function. Maybe you can run an usb wifi dongle as accesspoint but I didn´t try this cause I didn´t need it for my test runs.

Arduino: You have to look if the Pins of the Uno and Nano counted the same way. If so-> no problems. If not -> you have to change the Pin-numbers in the code.

Main difference is that the nano have more analog in/out pins.

If you google for "arduino nano uno difference" you find something like this: difference

Best regards

Andreas
(2021-03-08, 08:29 PM)Andreas29 Wrote: [ -> ]Arduino: You have to look if the Pins of the Uno and Nano counted the same way. If so-> no problems. If not -> you have to change the Pin-numbers in the code.

Thanks Andreas.

The Arduino Nano is so cheap I just bought one and it should save me some messing around. 

I will try my Raspberry pi B and see what happens. I can live without wifi for now. The Pi zero W is also cheap but the Pi 3 would give me more future options.
also future pypilot may be able to utilize significantly more processing power, i'm not sure even a pi 3 is enough
Hi,

the to asked for hardware for tinypilot. 
Will tinypilot grow up in the future so that a raspberry pi zero will not be enough?

Are there differences in function between pypilot and tinypilot? 

Regards

Andreas
(2021-03-08, 05:27 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: [ -> ]it should  work but if you run into problems you know what to do Smile

Tinypilot loads OK on the Pi B.
I get this output when it starts
screen shot
Does the No such device error refer to the missing Wifi for the Rasp Pi B I'm using?
Or does it refer to the missing IMU?
If I do ps I can see processes running with names like autopilot and PyPilot. Does that mean PyPilot is running?
If I connect the PC and the raspberry pi with a network cable and browse to the IP address no page displays.
How do I access the web interface?
The ifconfig message relates to the network (=wi-fi) setup; you can follow the boot sequence in /opt/bootlocal.sh. If you see pypilot processes, chances are it's running all right. The browser interface might be at :8080; if not try :8000. You can see open ports with netstat -anlt.

If you have 23322 open, you can connect to it with an opencpn plugin; just type the ip address of the tinypilot in the host box under config.
You cannot use a regular ethernet cable between the PC and the pi; you'd need two cables to connect them both to a common ethernet router. Then type ifconfig on the tinypilot to see if you get an address.

I just installed a tinypilot myself: the browser interface should be at port 80. The latest tinypilot image I downloaded from pypilot.org has an old version of pypilot that most probably won't connect to your opencpn. I'll upload a new version of my document in the pypilot for dummies thread which might give you some handles.
(2021-03-11, 12:38 AM)ironman Wrote: [ -> ]I just installed a tinypilot myself: the browser interface should be at port 80. The latest tinypilot image I downloaded from pypilot.org has an old version of pypilot that most probably won't connect to your opencpn. I'll upload a new version of my document in the pypilot for dummies thread which might give you some handles.

It’s all getting too difficult to use my old Raspberry Pi B without Wi-Fi.

Am I right in thinking I can load the tinypilot image on a raspberry pi 4?

Do I then also have the option to run Open Plotter and use Pypilot from within that package?
Pages: 1 2