OpenMarine

Full Version: Reboot randomly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I just finished putting together my new set up with an st2000 and I am experiencing some random reboots while testing the heading correction, see videos:

it only happens when the tiller actuator is wired.

Any idea what could be wrong?
90% sure it's your usb connection to power the pi. This is not a crash or software reboot, but a power cycle.

Try a different usb cable and try powering the pi from a laptop or something so that voltage drops from the motor can't be the cause.
Besides, when an ST2000 motor stalls at the end stops it peaks above 8 ampere - enough to dim some lights. A big fat electrolytic capacitor is always a good companion. And end-of-travel switches. Make sure you set servo.maxCurrent to around 3 amps, that will soften the blow.
Sorry guys, you were right this was a silly power issue ... I am using a 12V 6A power supply to do my tests at home which powered the Pi AND the motor controller. 
I am now powering the Pi separately and it works fine!

(2021-03-27, 01:06 PM)ironman Wrote: [ -> ]Besides, when an ST2000 motor stalls at the end stops it peaks above 8 ampere - enough to dim some lights. A big fat electrolytic capacitor is always a good companion. And end-of-travel switches. Make sure you set servo.maxCurrent to around 3 amps, that will soften the blow.

The motor was wired with these 3 small capacitors, do you think I should wire big capacitors the same way?

[Image: Capture.jpg]
No, these should be relatively small and that type - ceramic. These are able to suppress the interference caused by the pwm motor signal and brushes. Electrolytic here is too slow to suppress static and if they are too big they'll dissipate power and degrade and eventually die with a bang; besides they can't handle reverse polarity. The electrolytic I referred to i would put over the 5V power line, just to be able to bridge short power dips. I believe I have 300µF here.
(2021-03-27, 09:03 PM)ironman Wrote: [ -> ]No, these should be relatively small and that type - ceramic. These are able to suppress the interference caused by the pwm motor signal and brushes. Electrolytic here is too slow to suppress static and if they are too big they'll dissipate power and degrade and eventually die with a bang; besides they can't handle reverse polarity. The electrolytic I referred to i would put over the 5V power line, just to be able to bridge short power dips. I believe I have 300µF here.

Thank you that's clear, so I guess I should solder these back to the motor ... I thought it has to do with the St2000 board so I removed them.