OpenMarine

Full Version: VNC explanation point
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Help
I have set up my Pi 3 B+ in the Network app to be a access point but I still get the VNC explanation point, "Temporarily disconnected from RealVNC services.
I ran Check Network and got
wifi access point: wlan9
wifi client:
dnsmasq (dhcp-server): running
hostapd (AP):               running
dhcpcd:                       running
avahi-daemon:             running
IP address
wlan9 10.10.10.1

What am I doing wrong?
(2021-06-16, 05:54 PM)jhoop Wrote: [ -> ]Help
I have set up my Pi 3 B+ in the Network app to be a access point but I still get the VNC explanation point, "Temporarily disconnected from RealVNC services.
I ran Check Network and got
wifi access point: wlan9
wifi client:
dnsmasq (dhcp-server): running
hostapd (AP):               running
dhcpcd:                       running
avahi-daemon:             running
IP address
wlan9 10.10.10.1

What am I doing wrong?

What do you do to bring about the message? I presume you are using a remote device that you have already authenticated by connecting to the AP? Then you try to connect via VNC Viewer?
I'm assuming you can login to your RPi over wifi.
Can you ping the RPi ("ping 10.10.10.1")?
If that's all good, have you enabled VNC in the RPi tool: Preferences/Interfaces?
That should be enough to allow you VNC access, such as screen sharing.

You can then look at the OpenPlotter Network app to control how data flows from and to the RPi over ethernet and/or wifi.
I can ping the Pi and get 

PING openplotter.local (192.168.1.16): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.1.16: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=3.318 ms

when I try to ping 10.10.10.1 I get

PING 10.10.10.1 (10.10.10.1): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

As you can probably tell, I'm new to all this
No problem. We're all learning. That's the fun part.

I'm guessing you are connected to your local home network, either through ethernet or wifi. From that you are assigned the IP address 192.168.1.16
If so, and you have the choice, I recommend to connect to your home network through ethernet for now.

You should then be able to connect from anything on your home network through VNC using this 192.168.1.16 address. Does that work for you?
As soon as I disconnect the ethernet cable I loose the VNC connection and the yellow explanation point comes back.
How will be able to use this on my sailboat if I can't get a connection without the internet?
Clicking on the internet symbol in the upper right corner it shows
eth0: Link is down
wlan9: Associated with
wlan9: Configured 10.10.10.1/24

Clicking on Wireless & Wired Network Settings I get a Config error
Error saving /etc/dhcpcd.conf
The dhcpcd configuration file is not writeable

How do I fix this?

Also I can see the openplotter wifi on my Android phone, iPad and iMac.
Let's assume you are using your iPad to connect and you have installed the VNC viewer app on the iPad

Connect the iPad to the pi's AP just like you would connect it to any other WiFi access point. You say you can see it from the iPad so connect to it using the password you set up in OP

Your iPad network setting should show you are correctly connected and that your pi has assigned the iPad an address in the 10.10.10.0/24 range

Open VNC Viewer on the iPad and I think top right there is a + to add a connection

Type in the address of the pi 10.10.10.1, give it a name and press done then connect
is vnc able to connect to 192.168.1.16 ?

you can use the 10.10.10.1 only if you connect to the openplotter AP with your client.
(2021-06-17, 12:29 PM)holgerw Wrote: [ -> ]is vnc able to connect to 192.168.1.16 ?

you can use the 10.10.10.1 only if you connect to the openplotter AP with your client.

"How will be able to use this on my sailboat..."

He is asking how to connect when he is on his boat, not connected to the 192 home network. The first post suggests that he has set up the AP for this purpose.
Pages: 1 2