OpenMarine

Full Version: IMU Based Compass wows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
over the last 2 years of using OP I have ben trying to get the compass to work and have tried 3 different ones:

1.  BerryIMU V2
2. HiLetgo MPU9250 
3. Waveshare MPU9250 based

and cant seem to get the devices to actually perform properly during sailing.  the BerryIMU I have used the most and find that, at my mooring it tracks the compass very well but as soon as I am sailing the variation from compass heading to GPS course/direction can be up to 90degrees.  I picked up the Waveshare because somebody suggested it worked for them.  I fitted this last weekend and have found that it was slow to keep up as I rotated on the mooring and once sailing I adjusted the direction based on GPS direction and then when I tacked, it was 90deg out.  

I followed the calibration steps (https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...ation.html) and have moved it around a bit to get away from most power sources.  

the sensor is currently mounted vertically against a bulkhead - is there any recommendation with regards to orientation? or position? - it is located about 6ft(2m) from the center line of the boat

Thanks for any help!