OpenMarine

Full Version: WiFi Dongle for second WiFi device
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,
I would like to implement the network as in 'Diagram 2' of the network section in the Open Plotter 2 manual.

I have tried a couple of dongles that I had in my drawer but there don't seem to be compatible Linux drivers and do not appear on the serial devices list(as far as I can tell but I'm very new to this architecture)

Can anyone recommend a suitable wifi dongle that would be a 'plug and play' solution with the latest RPi (Buster) OS/OpenPlotter release? (Raspberry Pi 4 model B).

Many thanks,

Paul

Just to add to the above. I have a lot to learn! I tried other Raspberry Pi forums and it seems there may be issues with support for Realtec being removed from the latest Raspberry Pi Kernel and talk of having to recompile the kernel with new drivers on each kernel update. I feel like I'm stepping through a minefield! Any and all help appreciated but please be gentle!
Paul
(2021-08-08, 01:33 PM)Paul M Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
I would like to implement the network as in 'Diagram 2' of the network section in the Open Plotter 2 manual.

I have tried a couple of dongles that I had in my drawer but there don't seem to be compatible Linux drivers and do not appear on the serial devices list(as far as I can tell but I'm very new to this architecture)

Can anyone recommend a suitable wifi dongle that would be a 'plug and play' solution with the latest RPi (Buster) OS/OpenPlotter release? (Raspberry Pi 4 model B).

Many thanks,

Paul

Just to add to the above. I have a lot to learn! I tried other Raspberry Pi forums and it seems there may be issues with support for Realtec being removed from the latest Raspberry Pi Kernel and talk of having to recompile the kernel with new drivers on each kernel update. I feel like I'm stepping through a minefield! Any and all help appreciated but please be gentle!
Paul

I've used this successfully in the configuration you're looking for. Pi 4, latest versions of everything. Plug and Play works just fine.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001...UTF8&psc=1
(2021-08-10, 01:23 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-08, 01:33 PM)Paul M Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Many thanks,

Paul

Paul

I've used this successfully in the configuration you're looking for. Pi 4, latest versions of everything. Plug and Play works just fine.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001...UTF8&psc=1

I have recently tried dongles with both Realtec and Broadcom silicon , drivers would not install for either of these. I sourced the Edimax ew7811un and this also shows as no compatible driver available when trying to update.

*** Raspberry Pi wifi driver installer by MrEngman.
 *** Performing self-update
 *** Relaunching after update

*** Raspberry Pi wifi driver installer by MrEngman.

Your current kernel revision = 5.10.52-v7l+
Your current kernel build    = #1441

Checking for a wifi module to determine the driver to install.

Your wifi module is Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:b811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd 

And it uses the 8188eu driver.

Your Pi revision number is d03114
You have a Pi 4 v1.4
Checking for a 8188eu wifi driver module for your current kernel.
A driver does not exist for this update.

So I’m at a complete loss in how to progress.
Paul
Paul

Perhaps I am missing something, if so please excuse me, but what's the problem with the one I suggested?
Raspbian does support many wifi dongles.

OpenPlotter adds some more by using the installer by MrEngman!
The advantge is you can use these dongles. The great disadvantge with these wifi dongles is, whenever you update the kernel, you have to update the driver by pushing the button "Install Wifi Drivers". This is very annoying when you need this device to connect to the internet! But this is the only way if you want faster 5 GHz.
MrEngman doesn't support already supported wlan dongles. The answer "A driver does not exist for this update" will apear for all plug and play dongles!!!

Well I just checked MrEngman updates. They stop at kernel 5.10.49 on 16.7.21. We hope somebody has holiday :-)
(http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi-...u-drivers/)
I'm a little puzzled by this thread, it started off with a simple request:

"Can anyone recommend a suitable wifi dongle that would be a 'plug and play' solution with the latest RPi (Buster) OS/OpenPlotter release? (Raspberry Pi 4 model B)."

I responded that yes, I did have such a recommendation but it seems to have been ignored (Why would I say I have a working solution when I don't?). The posts that followed simply listed loads of things that won't work.

I am really trying to help you here Paul.

I have a wifi dongle working on my system which is based on:

The latest version of Rasbian, like yours
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster

The latest kernel version, exactly the same as yours:
5.10.52-v7l+ #1441 SMP Tue Aug 3 18:11:56 BST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

I have the latest components of OpenPlotter installed like you.

I have a Raspberry pi 4, similar to yours. The only difference is that yours is the 8GB version, mine is 4GB. I doubt very much that that is a factor.

The device worked "Plug and Play" exactly as you asked for. No driver fudging or or unnatural manoeuvres. I plugged it in and it worked. Hence I am not clear why you don't believe me.

Let me make you an offer, if you PM me your address I will send you the dongle from my working system for you to try. You have nothing to lose. I will even send you a stamped addressed envelope to return it to me if for some reason it doesn't work.

I thought I'd answered your original requirement with a positive and helpful answer and am not sure what else I can do to help. I'd like to try though.
....deleted...

Well, I tried.
Apologies baltika_no_9, I was trying some dongles that I managed to source locally, I was concerned that none seemed to work and thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

I have one of the "TB® Ralink 5370 USB Wifi Dongles" that you recommend on order and will post an update.

I'm sorry for not explaining and probably not following forum etiquette, your help is very much appreciated, I hadn't realised that the wifi utility was an open plotter utility and not part of Buster. (I'm very new to Linux)
I hope you have some success Paul. Until now I've always used the EDIMAX dongles but for my latest build then I've gone for the Ralink. It has worked absolutely faultlessly and I can't imagine you won't have the same experience.

The addition of the dongle will (or did in my case) cause the interfaces to be renamed. The onboard wifi which was originally wlan0 became wlan9 and the dongle identified as wlan0. I use the onboard one as the local AP and the USB one for external wifi access per the OP documentation. The dongle should be identified something like:

>lsusb -v

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter

In the Network section in OpenPlotter there is an "Install WiFi Drivers" option but you should not need to do this, indeed as everything works fine I've never been inclined to try it.

Good luck
(2021-08-13, 06:10 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: [ -> ]I hope you have some success Paul. Until now I've always used the EDIMAX dongles but for my latest build then I've gone for the Ralink. It has worked absolutely faultlessly and I can't imagine you won't have the same experience.

The addition of the dongle will (or did in my case) cause the interfaces to be renamed. The onboard wifi which was originally wlan0 became wlan9 and the dongle identified as wlan0. I use the onboard one as the local AP and the USB one for external wifi access per the OP documentation. The dongle should be identified something like:

>lsusb -v

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter

In the Network section in OpenPlotter there is an "Install WiFi Drivers" option but you should not need to do this, indeed as everything works fine I've never been inclined to try it.

Good luck

Many thanks, I am now getting somewhere (maybe nowhere?).
if i hover the mouse over the network icon (top right (System tray???)) it shows:

wlan0: Not associated
Wlan9: associated with
wlan9: configured 10.10.10.1/24

if I left click is shows:

no wireless LAN interfaces found

If i right click it throws an error message:

Error saving /etc/dhcpcd.conf
The dhcpcd configuration file is not writeable [OK]
Pages: 1 2 3