OpenMarine

Full Version: Cannot read Ethernet input in Signal K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have an RPI4, a Ship Modudul MiniPlex 3E-N2K, an old apple router which are all connected by ethernet cables. I struggled with the IP addresses but these all talk now.

I have wind/Depth and speed sensors connected to the Multiplexer either by wired connections for NMEA0183 and by small NMEA2000 backbone. I also added by USB a GPS sensor.

I can see the NMEA sentences coming into my RPI when I ping the multiplexer from the RPI Terminal window but in Signal K I can only see the USB GPS, nothing from the Ethernet cable connection.

I would be extremely grateful for help but please in the very simplest terms,  you are dealing with a bit of an IT moron here !
Are you happy that the connection you set up for the Ethernet is looking at UDP or TCP port 10110, and your Miniplex configured for TCP or UDP?
(2021-08-29, 04:08 PM)abarrow Wrote: [ -> ]Are you happy that the connection you set up for the Ethernet is looking at UDP or TCP port 10110, and  your Miniplex configured for TCP or UDP?

Yes I believe so as I am seeing the NMEA messages rolling up the terminal window.

What I need to be able to do is get these massages to be seen by Signal K. I just don’t seem to be able to see them coming in. I would have thought that they would come in just under the line where I see the USB input for the plug in GPS.
Ahhh, okay. so your Ethernet is coming in your Shipmodul box, and then you have a NMEA output to your RPI?
(2021-08-29, 08:18 PM)abarrow Wrote: [ -> ]Ahhh, okay. so your Ethernet is coming in your Shipmodul box, and then you have a NMEA output to your RPI?

Yes the Ethernet path is :-

NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 to the Miniplex,  then Ethernet cable to router.

The RPI also goes to the router by Ethernet cable.

Because I am at  home setting  this all up before going to the boat my Mac is also going to the router, this also getting the messages from miniplex.
I suggest you install Wireshark on your RPI and use it to see if you can see your Ethernet data coming in to your PI. If you are operating headless, install TShark.
Not sure that this is necessary as I can see when I ping the RPI that the data is coming to it from the multiplexer both NMEA0183 and 2000. I just need to know how I can get the OPenplotter or Signal K to see it and use it.
How is your sk miniplex connection configured?
Unfortunately I seem to have rather messed things up on my pi . Playing around in Network settings I now get this when I reboot

the default OpenCPN connection is missing and is not getting data from Signal K. Please create OpenCPN:
Network
Protocol:Signal K
Address:localhost
DataPort:3000
Automatic Server discovery:not

I think I better go back to reformatting the SD card and install everything again ?
Ok I have now reformatted my card and have the system running Open CPN, and Signal K.

When I ping the multiplexer I get the read out in the terminal window that the sensors are working, but Signal K just does not see it. Am I missing something obvious?
Pages: 1 2