OpenMarine

Full Version: Able to hook up Pi with NMEA hat to existing B&G Vulcan setup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I was wondering how difficult it would be to connect a pi with NMEA 2k hat to an existing B&G vulcan set up. Would it just be plug in and go, no problems? or would it mess up my vulcan's readings somehow? I want to use the pi as a "black box" recorder, and save sensor readings over time of individual trips. 

The purpose of which is to share the trip data with people taken out on tours/lessons/etc, and also serve as a log for them (that they'd accumulate from me trip by trip via email) in case they want to see what they've done to date, conditions experience, etc. This way if they were taking lessons and want to buy a boat down the road, they can show the insurance company easy proof, or charter, can show them the same.

I'm looking to show dates/times, distance, gps map like Saillogger would be nice, AWS/TWS, depth, water temp, STW/SOG, weather (can be pulled from internet), sailing advisories (internet again), and anything else interesting, plus ability to input notes of course. Extra points if I can see the data over time for the length of the trip.

any thoughts or ideas?
Getting the data in from n2k will not disturb the rest of the system.

You can easily write the data to InfluxDb and present the data you want as graphs and as track on a map eith Grafana.

There is no comprehensive solution for the non numeric stuff though. Maybe some OpenCpn logbook olugin would fit the bill.

Setting this up takes more time than money and you are the only person who can evaluate if it does what you are after, so give it a try!
(2021-09-22, 05:37 AM)tkurki Wrote: [ -> ]Getting the data in from n2k will not disturb the rest of the system.

You can easily write the data to InfluxDb and present the data you want as graphs  and as track on a map eith Grafana.

There is no comprehensive solution for the non numeric stuff though. Maybe some OpenCpn logbook olugin would fit the bill.

Setting this up takes more time than money and you are the only person who can evaluate if it does what you are after, so give it a try!

yep, ordered the parts. we'll fiddle.

also might try adding an SDR dongle and see about recording 1 or more marine freqs.

thanks for the influxdb tip, ill check it out!