OpenMarine

Full Version: Marinas and insurance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, fellow community of sailors!

I have a question which is perhaps off topic, but nevertheless important for me.

My situation is following: I bought a boat in Maine last year. Last winter I stored it on land over the winter. This year, as I am living in the United States because of the war in Ukraine. And I have my boat on water in Brooklyn, New York.

My biggest fear is that water will freeze in the through hulls, the fittings will bust, and the boat will start sinking. I have a number of pumps ready, but still...

So, I started looking for a possibility of getting an emergency lift out of the water, a "short haul", or even winter storage. One marina (Morgan Marina in New Jersey) agreed to store the boat for the winter, but asked for insurance on the boat.

My boat is kind of old (a Vindo, made in 1974), and hence insurance for it, when I was looking for it, ran into a sum around 1500 or 2000 dollars a year. For me, that is a large sum of money. 

[attachment=2000]

So, my questions are: 

1) is there a marina nearby (around New York, preferably near Brooklyn) that will provide an emergency lift out of the water, without an insurance? 

2) If insurance is absolutely necessary (although I am skeptical), what company would charge the least and provide it ASAP? What is your experience with insurance companies?

Thanks for any information,

Gennady,
from Brooklyn, New York.