OpenMarine

Full Version: discord server for RPI boat stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi gang, I created a discord server a while ago for a little project which never took off, might as well leave it running so if anyone want's to come for a chat please do >
https://discord.gg/BjzGvXQbhX

Not meant as an alternative to here or anything but sometimes discord can be handy for more informal banter & off the cuff chatting.

Rubbish name though ??

One thing I do really think would be good would be to get some fairly simple easyeda designs so others can get useful boards made up cheap. I really think the quality of opensource projects like openplotter & pypilot is fantastic, but so many people are scared of things they don't know anything about, anything to educate & show that it's actually not that hard would be a good thing. 

Drop over if you fancy a chat  Cool
(2022-12-02, 06:29 PM)PaddyB Wrote: [ -> ]Hi gang, I created a discord server

I've joined.

(2022-12-02, 06:29 PM)PaddyB Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I do really think would be good would be to get some fairly simple easyeda designs so others can get useful boards made up cheap.

Yes, and I'm happy to help (although I use KiCad).

Something on my mind: @seandepagnier sells hardware, so I'm reluctant to do anything which would undercut his sales. That's not good for PyPilot in the long term. I fear that if we make it too easy, parties out there will just copy the designs and flog them.

I'm wondering if it would help if the shared designs were licensed under Creative Commons, with an -NC clause which would permit hobbyists and sailors to build their own, but not permit commercial entities to sell them.

Thoughts?

(2022-12-02, 06:29 PM)PaddyB Wrote: [ -> ]anything to educate & show that it's actually not that hard would be a good thing. 

It will be for most people, but having reference designs and avenues for support will greatly lower the bar.
(2022-12-03, 02:02 PM)CapnKernel Wrote: [ -> ]Something on my mind: @seandepagnier sells hardware, so I'm reluctant to do anything which would undercut his sales.  That's not good for PyPilot in the long term.  I fear that if we make it too easy, parties out there will just copy the designs and flog them.

I'm wondering if it would help if the shared designs were licensed under Creative Commons, with an -NC clause which would permit hobbyists and sailors to build their own, but not permit commercial entities to sell them.  

Thoughts?
Completely agree!!! Sean & Sailoog are beyond royalty  Cool Big Grin
my thoughts...

- Finally the new MacArthur HAT is quite advanced and we are testing a new (and hopefully last) prototype now. The plan is to make it fully open source (lesson learned with the Moitessier HAT...). We would like to make some profit to keep moving on so we will publish just the schematic first and after some sales we will also publish the KiCad files.

- The next step will be the OpenMarine Box, a group of boards based on ESP32 to connect all kinds of sensors to openplotter. We will also try to sell some but this project we do want to be totally open from the beginning and encourage self-construction through some easy system like easyeda.

Personally, I am happy that there are people making business and money with projects related to Openplotter as long as we are coordinated and working in the same direction. That makes us grow.