OpenMarine

Full Version: OpenCPN instability (Again ...)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After a few days it happenned again ! CpU load exceed 25% (1 core fully occupied) and OpenCPN out of control.
I could visuatyze that thanks to a smartphone application Rapcontroler, very usefull indeed ! When things have calmed down, I de-activated in OpenCPN the connection to SignalK, and, as by a miracle, the troubles were gone : no more hangup, easy panning and zooming, and activating the options didn't freeze OpenCPN neither !
I know disconnecting from SignalK is not a respectable solution, but it give a good clue where to investigate more in deep , isn't it ?
Had the same problem and ended up going back to using the OP NMEA0183 port for data. It is easy to hook up and has all the information I am looking for.

SignalK and OpenCPN seem to have a love/hate relationship on the Raspberry Pi. Until it is worked out, this is a respectable solution as far as I am concerned.

I read a few days back somewhere (sorry, I couldn't find it) that the developers were aware of the issue and resolved it. Suspect the fix will be implemented in the next update.
It seems that there is a problem with OpenCPN trying to digest the "null" values in signal K. OpenCPN developers made a fix but I have been tracking this fix and it seems than it never got published in OpenCPN 5.6.2 in debian backport but it was applied to OpenCPN 5.6.2 in flatpak.

could you try the flatpak installation and report please?
(2023-02-02, 07:11 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that there is a problem with OpenCPN trying to digest the "null" values in signal K. OpenCPN developers made a fix but I have been tracking this fix and it seems than it never got published in OpenCPN 5.6.2 in debian backport but it was applied to OpenCPN 5.6.2 in flatpak.

could you try the flatpak installation and report please?

Hi Sailoog,

Flatpak has the same issue. Constantly freezes up after a few minutes. Once data is switched over to NMEA0183, there are no issues.

I have not yet been able to see the advantage in OP of having SignalK over NMEA0183.
For me OpenCPN backport is freezing with Signal k null values but OpenCPN flatpak is not.

The advantage is that you may not have data input in NMEA 0183 format. If you have input data in signal K, seatalk1 or NMEA 2000 formats you do not have to translate to NMEA 0183