OpenMarine

Full Version: OpenCPN freezing when serial GPS connected
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have been using OpenCPN for a number of years on a windows laptop. I have recently opted for a raspberry PI 4 with the latest version of Openplotter. However, i am struggling at the moment to use OpenCPN because it freezes when the connected serial GPS (to the PI) gets a fix. Signal K shows the connection and data coming in ok. I have also started to consider the Avnav plugin and it has no problem with the attached GPS. Could someone help with this?
It seems that there is a problem with OpenCPN trying to digest "null" signal K values. this was fixed in OpenCPN 5.6.2 but the fix never got published in the version that you install from Debian backports. However the same version 5.6.2 in the flatpak repository does contain this fix. The problem is that OpenCPN developers are really busy with OpenCPN 5.8 and it will take some time until this is properly fixed.

These are your options until this is fixed:

- Install OpenCPN 5.6.2 from flatpak.
- Use a network NMEA 0183 connection instead of the signal k one (TCP - localhost - 10110)
(2023-02-06, 07:17 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that there is a problem with OpenCPN trying to digest "null" signal K values. this was fixed in OpenCPN 5.6.2 but the fix never got published in the version that you install from Debian backports. However the same version 5.6.2 in the flatpak repository does contain this fix. The problem is that OpenCPN developers are really busy with OpenCPN 5.8 and it will take some time until this is properly fixed.

- Use a network NMEA 0183 connection instead of the signal k one (TCP - localhost - 10110)

(2023-02-06, 10:50 PM)Chinook Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-02-06, 07:17 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that there is a problem with OpenCPN trying to digest "null" signal K values. this was fixed in OpenCPN 5.6.2 but the fix never got published in the version that you install from Debian backports. However the same version 5.6.2 in the flatpak repository does contain this fix. The problem is that OpenCPN developers are really busy with OpenCPN 5.8 and it will take some time until this is properly fixed.

Sailoog, thanks. However, i have been unable to install openCPN from flatpak The installer app greys out the flatpak version.
If you don not have the flatpak version available after checking version is because you probably are in 32bit and flatpak is only for 64bit. You should try the NMEA 0183 way.
Hello, 

I also used openplotter and opencpn last year and there was no problem at all. At some point the Opencpn begun to freeze. I found out that as soon as I make the signalK connection Opencpn freezes in few seconds. I can get GPS position data but not data of the I2C sensors im my case Compass and BME280. 

The network NMEA 0183 connection (TCP - localhost - 10110) doesn't solwe this problem. 
Is there a workaround?
(2023-02-10, 07:29 PM)robertsail Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, 

I also used openplotter and opencpn last year and there was no problem at all. At some point the Opencpn begun to freeze. I found out that as soon as I make the signalK connection Opencpn freezes in few seconds. I can get GPS position data but not data of the I2C sensors im my case Compass and BME280. 

The network NMEA 0183 connection (TCP - localhost - 10110) doesn't solwe this problem. 
Is there a workaround?

If opencpn still freezes having only NMEA 0183 data and the Signal k connection is not enabled, you are suffering a different issue.

This issue is about opencpn trying to digest null values in signal k data.
(2023-02-11, 11:30 AM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-02-10, 07:29 PM)robertsail Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, 

Is there a workaround?

If opencpn still freezes having only NMEA 0183 data and the Signal k connection is not enabled, you are suffering a different issue.

This issue is about opencpn trying to digest null values in signal k data.

No, If I hawe only NMEA 0183 Data connection active it works fine without freezing, exept  I can't get the Compass data, Temperature, Humidity and Presure data (I2C sensors) in Opencpn. Therefore I asked If there is a workaround to get this dato to.
have you tried the flatpak version?
I hawe openplotter V2 installed on raspberry pi 4b 8 Gb. Is it possible to install the flatpack?
OpenPlotter v2 is only for 32bit and there is not opencpn for 32bit in flatpack.