OpenMarine

Full Version: MAIANA + Signal K data loop?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi 

RPI 4
openplotter settings 3.5 , all updates done
MAIANA 3.1.6 stable
OpenCPN 5.6.2

MAIANAN is working, I get satellites, GPS Position and many data (RMC etc) from MAIANA. All data is visible in SignalK.

Problem 1:
MAIANA app running, no OPENCPN: The CPU load rises from 3-5% to 35 to 40 % and remains. I have to kill node process to resolve.

Problem 2:
OPENCPN + MAIANA via SignalK: THE CPU load rises from 3-5% to 30%, OpenCPN is blocked. Disabling in SignalK the connection (MAIANA) OR disabling SignalK in Opencpn solves the issue. By restarting Signal K with the connections enabled, the load increases again and OpenCPN is blocked again.

any idea?

regards, Stephan
How have you connected the MAIANA to the Raspberry?

There is a problem in OpenCPN installed from backports and signal k null data freezes opencpn. This seems to be fixed in the flatpak version. You are probably indoor and generating many null values.
Hi 

MAIANA is connected via UART (MAIANA UART breakout(new Version with USB)) to the Pi4

I am indoor, but the Antennna is outdoor and gets all data (GPS), except valid AIS data. (I do not live near the sea)

I know SOG and COG from MAIANA were always "null", so this may be the issue. (the antenna was not moving)

I guess I can ignore NMEA sentences with a "null" value in Signal K. When I remember right...

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

thx a lot, Stephan
Your MAIANA is connected OK, I do not think there is a loop.

I am trying to reproduce the error with null values but I can not.

The setting you are talking about is "Remove NULL characters" but I think this is for the void values in NMEA sentences.

Try to filter SOG and COG at input

There is a new opencpn 5.6.2 version in backports, try to update as usual "sudo apt update/upgrade"
(2023-03-13, 02:16 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Your MAIANA is connected OK, I do not think there is a loop.

I am trying to reproduce the error with null values but I can not.

The setting you are talking about is "Remove NULL characters" but I think this is for the void values in NMEA sentences.

Try to filter SOG and COG at input

There is a new opencpn 5.6.2 version in backports, try to update as usual "sudo apt update/upgrade"

Hi, 

I did all the updates, and it seems the OPENCPN issue is gone. OPENCPN runs for two hours with no issue at all, incl. MAIANA

The CPU load after starting the MAIANA app is still high (35%), and remains high, even after closing the app. But, the system ist functional and not blocked. After shutting down the "node" process (it restarts immediately) the CPU load is normal (5%) again and everything works fine.
the "node" process is the signal K server. Check your settings. Maybe any logging settings?
I found out why the CPU goes to 35% when you run the openplotter-maiana app. We need to send commands to the MAIANA device by serial to get information and configure. Even though the serial connection is being used by the Signal K server, we can send data from the openplotter-maiana app without breaking the connection between the device and the Signal K server because we just write but this is a dirty way that Signal k does not like.

I will fix this on the next update of openplotter-maiana app using signal k as a bridge to send commands to MAIANA.