OpenMarine

Full Version: Boat with NO electronics (thought experiment)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all
I've been looking over the MacArthur hat and marveling (drooling) at its capabilities.  
And knowing that one of Openplotters philosophies is making boating electronics cheaper and affordable for your average person.

All this has got me thinking, (never a good plan at the best of times) what if you had a blank slate, a sailboat with no electronics. nothing, zilch, noda, not a single luxury, not even a radio not a compass, or even a cup holder.

I'm no expert on these things, so there's others out there who know even less than me can we create a guide maybe?
Maybe we could do a beginner phase for someone just starting sailing and fill it out to intermediate, then an advanced setup in general?

Your starting point is with a Raspberry Pi, and Macarthur hat.
What do you install on your boat and why. (i know alot is obvious, but what do you buy/make to do the job?)
What do you believe is critical and what is nice to have?
What would you buy new, what could be bought cheaply or used, can something be repurposed from another field of use?

This was kind of spur of the moment thought on my part but i would genuinely like to see everyone's thoughts.