OpenMarine

Full Version: OpenPlotter - How do you get N2K AIS data from signal K into Navionics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm having a problem getting my AIS data that I've managed to get into Signal K via my NMEA2000 network, being seen by Navionics. 

I have an AIS transponder and I can see the AIS data coming into Signal K and subsequently OpenPlotter using NMEA2000 on the CAN bus interface on my raspberry Pi 4b. I want to be able to send that data out via the Wifi interface on my raspberry Pi so that the AIS data can be seen on my mobile devices that run Navionics.

Navionics only recognises the data in NMEA1083 format and not N2K. I have therefore installed the signal K to NMEA1083 plugin. Although I haven't been able to specifically select AIS data on the plugin, as there doesn't appear to be an option for that.

I have also set up my Wifi as a Access Point (AP) and on my mobile devices running Navionics (both Android) I can connect to the AP. 

When I go into Navionics and try to 'Pair the Devices' using the name of the AP and IP address (default 10.10.10.1) and port name (default 10110) of the NMEA1083 server, i.e. the signal K nmea1083 server, it doesn't connect. It's greyed out and just won't connect.

Any ideas what I'm missing, or haven't done correctly?

Many thanks
I am just letting you know that I do not have enough experience with this to help you, but I would like to think there are others that do have enough. If you want this product to work people, people need support. This person worded their question great, lots of info, and zero responses.

I want to use this product, but notice many people complaining about lack of help or response. It not super intuitive to use or set up, but I hope to get it going better in the future on my boat.

Good luck on this one, maybe this will prompt someone to help you.
"I want to use this product, but notice many people complaining about lack of help or response. It not super intuitive to use or set up, but I hope to get it going better in the future on my boat."

most everything is covered on the forum. theirs a search feature that is real helpful.
And plenty of help from users and Dev's.
(2023-09-19, 09:39 AM)jim321 Wrote: [ -> ]"I want to use this product, but notice many people complaining about lack of help or response. It not super intuitive to use or set up, but I hope to get it going better in the future on my boat."

most everything is covered on the forum. theirs a search feature that is real helpful.
And plenty of help from users and Dev's.

Sure, and I did not want to appear to come in here and start whining, especially on my first post! I just noticed that there are many questions with out a response, and it worries me as I struggle to set up my boat a little.  I have run into a few issues, and struggled through them, and I worry that maybe this is more of a do it yourself kind of project. (Which I am happy to do).

I figured also that maybe this would spur people to answer this question.  Smile

OK, enough of me hijacking this thread, hopefully someone will see it now and has an answer for this person!
Back to the OP sorry can't help . Just installed navionics on a samsung tablet to check - Raspberry Pi 3 running openplotter v3, tablet connected to the openplotter network created by the Pi, navionics device set to 10.10.10.1, port 10110, TCP. Looks all good, receiving GPS data..
I believe you also need the signalk-n2kais-to-nmea0183 plug-in. It's been awhile since I've done this, but I do remember my N2K AIS working well on handheld devices over TCP/IP-nmea0183.
(2023-09-20, 07:30 PM)SCarns Wrote: [ -> ]signalk-n2kais-to-nmea0183 plug-in

Yes, this is true, but allways make some backups of your signalk settings. server:backup - no need to include the plugins if you are online.

Be careful to do not configure loops for the transcoded data. this is especial important for the gps data. 
You will recognize these loops in bad response on poenplotter. sometimes it is better to start again with an
fresh backup.

but it is possible, for more about sk data-io-configs look into op-manual or into signalk-github.
(2023-08-30, 02:16 PM)Duncan Wrote: [ -> ]When I go into Navionics and try to 'Pair the Devices' using the name of the AP and IP address (default 10.10.10.1) and port name (default 10110) of the NMEA1083 server, i.e. the signal K nmea1083 server, it doesn't connect. It's greyed out and just won't connect.

Any ideas what I'm missing, or haven't done correctly?

This seems to be a problem with getting Navionics connected to the data server, rather than what data is being served.  

If you open OpenCPN on the Pi and go to 'Settings', 'Connections' you should be able to add a TCP connection to it with the same settings as you would for navionics and see if it works there.  you can disable the SignalK setting if you have one - use this to test the correct data is coming from the server.

if that works and you see boats and GPS data etc. then your issue is in the AP, connection to the AP, the Tablet, or Navionics