OpenMarine

Full Version: Raspberry PI 4 - Imaging Issues??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Raspberry PI 4 w/4gigs of ram (2019 Model)
I am using the "2023-08-04-OpenPlotter-v3-Starting-stable-32bit" image on a 32gig SD Card
I have the daisy hat attached and the GPS/GLONASS USB gps attached
Daisy hat is conntected to SignalK, I have tried the GPS connected to SignalK and to the Serial by itself without SignalK

Once I get everything set up - it seems to be ok until I reboot
Once I reboot I get a couple splash screens then no screen at all, just black.
I have reimaged the  SD Card at least 10 times - set up everything - do a shut down - then turn on to no screen ( I do get splash screens)

I've tried it with the daisy hat and without, with the GPS dongle and without - no difference

I have a Raymarine ST 4000 Mk2 Auto Pilot with possibly a blown controller - I was hoping to use the Pi as a replacement controller.
(Hoping to get a Macarther Hat when released) 

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

Yak
Followup:

I ordered a Raspberry Pi USB-C power supply, I believe its 15w.
Re-imaged an 8gig SD Card and started from scratch - board only, then added the daisy hat, then the GPS dongle.
Shutting down each time and rebooting each as they were added to the signalK server.

Everything working perfectly now.

I believe the power supply is the main factor here - system is noticeably faster.

Hope this helps

Yak
I'm delighted you were able to fix the black screen problem on your Raspberry Pi 4 by installing a new Raspberry Pi USB-C power supply! It appears that the original power source was insufficient to power your setup, particularly when you added extra devices such as the Daisy HAT and GPS dongle.

Here's an explanation of the scenario and possible causes.

Problem: Black screen after startup on Raspberry Pi 4.

Setup:

Raspberry Pi 4 (2019 model) with 4GB RAM.
OpenPlotter Image (2023-08-04-OpenPlotter-v3-Starting-stable-32bit)
32GB SD Card Daisy HAT GPS/GLONASS USB GPS
Potential additions: Raymarine ST 4000 Mk 2 Auto Pilot (maybe blown controller)
Troubleshooting Steps:

Reimaging the SD card several times.
Trying several hardware combinations (with and without Daisy HAT, GPS, etc.)
Switching to a new Raspberry Pi USB-C power supply (15W).
Solution: Using the latest Raspberry Pi USB-C power supply.

Possible Cause: Insufficient power supply.

Explanation:

The original power supply may not have been able to handle the combined power demands of the Raspberry Pi 4, Daisy HAT, and GPS dongle, particularly during bootup. This could have resulted in voltage swings or instability, causing the machine to crash and display a black screen upon reboot.
Brilliant!

That bullsh*t can only have been generated by a bot.